Remote desktop can't connect RRS feed

• Question

• I was able to connect remotely to my server in my home network, but when I got software upgrades to my server, it would not allow me to connect anymore.  I get the following error message:

Remote Desktop can't connect to remote computer for one of the following reasons;

remote access to server is not enabled

the remote computer is turned off

the remote computer is not available on the network

I have checked everything I can think of and I can't find the issue.  If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appropriate it.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:41 AM

All replies

• Can you connect to your server using the dashboard?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 3:06 AM
  • I just got that working, I still can't remote desktop onto my server.
    • Edited by Kestertr Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:03 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:52 AM
  • Great, I haven't done anything with it and now I can't get on the dashboard again.

I can't even connect with the launchpad now.

• Edited by Kestertr Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:49 PM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:39 AM
  • I have a similair isue. I can open the server trough remote desktop but if i want to open the dashboard on a client PC i get the same error. Does have anyone some ideas?
    Friday, September 23, 2011 10:31 AM
  • I have the same problem, also. Has anyone found a solution when all the client computers can't connect via the Dashboard?
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 4:38 PM
  • I have the same problem, also. Has anyone found a solution when all the client computers can't connect via the Dashboard?

I was able to connect remotely to my server in my home network, but when I got software upgrades to my server, it would not allow me to connect anymore. I get the following error message:

Remote Desktop can't connect to remote computer for one of the following reasons;

I have checked everything I can think of and I can't find the issue. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appropriate it.

and am using win7 to remote to my server 2003 after a while i could'nt even when on administive id:

Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:42 PM
  • I have the same problem. At some point in time, I lost the ability to connect to the Home Server from a client computer, either through the Dashboard or through Remote desktop. I'm pretty sure it is not a network problem, since I am able to access shared server folders without any problem. I'm also able to start a backup from a client computer.

I get the error message "Cannot connect this computer to the network. The server is not available."

Wonder if there is a solution or at least a diagnostic procedure ?

Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:20 PM
  • Hi,

are there any mismatches in date, time or time zone between the clients and the server in these cases?

Does name resolution still work (Start/run/cmd  - ping yourservername), if not, can you ping the last known IP address of the server?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:01 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

I did not find any mismatch in date, time and time zone. Also, I was able to ping the server from the client computer without error. I expected that really, since I'm able to access the server folders.

Thanks for considering the issue.

Regards,

Serge

Monday, January 30, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Hi Serge,

what happens, if you use the IP address for trying Remote Desktop connection?

Olaf

Monday, January 30, 2012 10:51 PM
  • It makes no difference whether I use the IP address or the server name for the remote desktop connection. But with the ping command, it responds with both.

Regards,

Serge

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 1:43 PM
  • Does ping return with IP4 or IP6 address?

If you enter the command

nslookup

on the client in a command prompt, and in the nslookup shell enter the server name, what is the result?

Are there any information messages, warnings or errors in the event log of the server at the time of your failed connection attempt? (especially pointing to Remote Desktop or authentication issues)

Olaf

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:41 PM
  • I was also getting this same error recently and noticed this thread.  However, after all of the research that I was able to do online, I ended up reinstalling WHS2011 since there did not seem to be any other fix available anywhere.  I will continue to follow this thread and see if there is an answer, but I wish everyone good luck.  

I was getting an IP4 address on my ping, able to connect to the overall dashboard through my domain XXXX.homeserver.com, could use the dashboard to remote into any of the client Win7Pro systems but could not remote into the server itself.  It is entirely possible that my issue had  more to do with some of the IIS and SQL server settings for the website that I maintain, and the certificate authority service somehow got mixed up.  The actual Certificate Authority for my remote access apparently changed overnight from my WHS owned certificate to the SSL certificate authority that I have installed for my GoDaddy website.  I do not use my WHS system to web host, but I use the programs on it to build and develop the site and then FTP the files to the GoDaddy servers.

I was receiving this same error: 

Also receiving an error that the certificate for the Remote Desktop Connection was invalid.  And all of this happened seemingly overnight.  I was not able to determine if a program had been updated, there was a Win update of some sort  or if there was a more serious issue, as I needed access to the Server immediately.  3 days after I was locked out (researching the entire time), I re installed the OS.  Since then I have been gradually reinstalling all of the addins, updates as needed and also developing/building and connecting to my GoDaddy site....and have had no issues so far.  I really wish there was an answer.  I know this is not an easy fix for most people, but I wish you luck

Thank you for looking.

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Hi Olaf,

I receive an IP4 address (192.168...)

The nslookup command returns :

Server : name of the router

Address : 192.168.1.1

Name : server_name.home

Address : 192.168...

I also tried to reinstall WHS, but to no avail. I will check the event log on the server.

Now, when I try to connect with remote desktop I get the following issue :

Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (server_name) is not responding
    Detected
    Detected
    Contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)
    Completed

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (server_name). The computer or service you are trying to reach might be temporarily unavailable. If the device or resource is nearby and you have access to it, make sure it is turned on and connected to the network.

Although it is visible under Network in Windows Explorer.

Thank you for investigating the issue.

Friday, February 3, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Did you try already to power cycle the machine, let it cool down for a while, before powering up again?

Also you could attack the disks to the client Pc as secondary drives and run chkdsk /r on all of them. (Keep the positions in server noted.)

Load the .evt files from the servers system disk in Windows\system32\config folder into the event viewer of your client before doing this to see, if you can find some more clues what is going on.

Olaf

Friday, February 3, 2012 10:59 PM
  • I've just tried a little experiment and it is rather strange.

I plugged an USB wireless adapter in the server, and disconnected the network cable. Now the server is connected to my network with the wireless USB adapter.

And now, I'm able to connect to the server, with remote desktop as well as with the Dashboard! I did not change anything else.

So in summary the problem seems to originate from my network adapter ???

Friday, February 3, 2012 11:07 PM
  • From that experiment either the network cable, a port in the switch/router or the Network card in PC or the connection to it, are eventually flaky.

Sometimes I have seen strange behavior, if the network plug had some gap between being fully plugged in and the clip which holds the cable (on either end). Had to press explicitely against the plug.

May be its also worth to uncheck the Power Save setings in the network adapter properties ("The computer can turn off this device to save power" or something like that.

Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Milo Rambaldi Sunday, February 5, 2012 7:26 PM
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Thanks for your answers. I will keep a close eye on my server and the various parameters you mentioned. In case it goes wrong again I will open a new thread with data from the logs.

Kind regards,

Serge

Sunday, February 5, 2012 7:27 PM
  • Hi Milo, Olaf,

I doubt this is related to the network adapter. I have exactly the same issue, no RDP, no Dashboard, but I can ping the server and see the shares. When trying to connect via RDP or the Dashboard the connection request seems to time-out. However, what makes me curious is that I seem to remember that the client was asked to be re-booted for a connector update when I first got aware of the issue. Which makes me think that it might somehow be related to what is described here (about in the middle of the article):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3941.troubleshooting-client-deployment-issues-when-using-windows-small-business-server-2011-essentials-windows-home-server-2011-and-windows-storage-server-2008-r2-essentials.aspx

I will check later the day whether this might be of help.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi dermoeller,

Thanks for the link. I keep it for further reference. Did you manage to solve the issue ?

Regards,

Saturday, February 11, 2012 11:12 AM