Dynamic disk for mirroring causes file lock problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a 2 hard disk WHS and I tried to mirror the disks for better protection. In order to software mirror the disks I need to convert them from basic disks to dynamic disks. After the conversion, applications like Excel and other 3rd party apps start running into problems with "file in use" errors on ALL of their data files... before the conversion there are no problems. I have gone from basic to dynamic several times and each time the same problem pops up.

Have others seen this problem and if so has anyone found a solution?

Thanks

Tom D
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:25 PM

Answers

• Dynamic Discs are not supported by WHS, they must be left at basic
    HMG
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:27 PM

All replies

• Any kind of RAID is not supported with Windows Home Server, but this is explicitely the case for software RAID.
    Since the Windows Home Server components are not knowing about RAID (with folder duplication for shared folders WHS provides its own somewhat RAID comparable method), there is also not much need.
    If you ever need to perform a server reinstall, you will run into difficulties.
    I recommend, to put the data on side and start installing WHS from the scratch in this case.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, November 12, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Hi Olaf

Thanks! In this case the problem starts as soon as the disk is converted from basic to dynamic... even before mirroring is enabled, so it doesn't seem to be mirroring that is causing it. However, your point about software raid is well taken.

Recently, Microsoft seems to be positioning WHS as a small business solution tool and some sort of raid for the boot volume is more of a necessity in that realm.

Thanks

Tom
    Friday, November 13, 2009 1:59 PM
    HMG
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:27 PM
    This. See also this knowledgebase article.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 13, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Thanks Henry, Ken and Olaf! You guys are great!
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:53 PM