All of Office Pro 2003 is Validated EXCEPT Outlook /w Business Manager RRS feed

• Question

• A couple months ago my laptop woke up dead. So I went out and got a replacement; it came bundled /w a trial version of Office. I uninstalled it and installed my licensed version (which is a Corp. Ed. for Multiple Installation). Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, and Access all are validated /w no trouble. But not Outlook - it crashes when I try to open it because it needs an update I can't get.

Here's my WGA scan:

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0723.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-DF4RC-97FHM-X2QW3
    Windows Product Key Hash: XTz8OsI6pC7phfUCCVtwV5AHJKs=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00817
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med
    ID: afbbdc68-300b-42cf-a99e-6e5c28d61ac1
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.723.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.20.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-530-645_3E121E02-409-80004005_3E121E02-300-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>afbbdc68-300b-42cf-a99e-6e5c28d61ac1</UGUID><Version>1.5.0723.1</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-X2QW3</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00817</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3422481864-3872523648-2198930557</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>TOSHIBA</Manufacturer><Model>Satellite A105</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies LTD</Manufacturer><Version>2.00   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="31"/><Date>20060830000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>TOSHIBA,TOSHIBA,TOSHIBA,TOSHIBA</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>E7BB3107018400EE</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>2</stat><msppid></msppid><name>Toshiba</name><model>Satellite</model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57960</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91170409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>354C2DFA0D54DE6</Val><Hash>B5spnlVI2wXIxJEQXd0cSr7Kqtg=</Hash><Pid>72079-755-3286772-55457</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91A10409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office OneNote 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>354C2DFA0D54DE6</Val><Hash>B5spnlVI2wXIxJEQXd0cSr7Kqtg=</Hash><Pid>70172-755-3286772-55384</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 11:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Peengreace, 

The information that Dan provided is correct.  This is what the diagnostic output tells you is this:

1) Microsoft Office Professional Edition - This installation is not genuine.  The product key used to install Office, is indeed a volume license key, but a key that has been blocked by Microsoft.  The legal key holder is a corporation based in Washington State.  The key is blocked from usage per their request.

2) Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 - This installation has successfully passed validation and is genuine.

3) Microsoft Office OneNote - This installation did not pass validation and needs to be activated.  You can activate a product by starting it and it will prompt you to enter the product key associated with it.

I understand that you would like to obtain an update to Outlook.  Unfortunately you will not be able to do so because of the genuine status of the Office Professional Edition (not genuine).  You will want to uninstall it, and reinstall it using the proper VLK assigned to your company. 

If you need help looking up your proper VLK, please post back and I can give you more instructions.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 2:12 AM
  • Hi Peengreace,

That is horrible and I am sorry that you were taken advantage of.  Unfortunately, it seems to be a fairly common practice.  You do have a couple of options.

1) Report the piracy to Microsoft:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx - This will allow our legal team to follow up on it and hopefully prevent this from happening to others in the future.

2) Validate your office product:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en - If you 'expand' the details, you will see info about the office apps that failed validation and the reason why.  On this same web page, if you click the GET GENUINE NOW button, it will display all of the options available to you for getting genuine Office.

You can review the details for the COMPLIMENTARY OFFER - this does require high quality media to be submitted.

One thing in the future if you are buying a second-hand PC, you could always ask the seller to connect to the Internet and validate the software at:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ - From the genuine web site you can validate both Windows (XP and Vista) and Office (XP, 2003 and the new 2007 version).  This way at least you walk away knowing you've got genuine software.  I know this always is not possible, but it's just one additional thing you can try to protect your investment.

Again, I'm sorry that this happened to you.  If you do decide to purchase Office, the new 2007 versions just shipped at the end of January.  They are really nice.  You can check out the various suites and even download a trial version from here:  http://us1.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx?culture=en-US 

Good luck!!
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 6:23 PM

All replies

• Peengreace,

The utility is showing that Office Pro 2003 is nongenuine (status of 114=nongenuine), Front Page is genuine (status of 100=genuine), and One Note 2003 has a status of 101 which I don't know what that is

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Hi Peengreace, 

The information that Dan provided is correct.  This is what the diagnostic output tells you is this:

1) Microsoft Office Professional Edition - This installation is not genuine.  The product key used to install Office, is indeed a volume license key, but a key that has been blocked by Microsoft.  The legal key holder is a corporation based in Washington State.  The key is blocked from usage per their request.

2) Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 - This installation has successfully passed validation and is genuine.

3) Microsoft Office OneNote - This installation did not pass validation and needs to be activated.  You can activate a product by starting it and it will prompt you to enter the product key associated with it.

I understand that you would like to obtain an update to Outlook.  Unfortunately you will not be able to do so because of the genuine status of the Office Professional Edition (not genuine).  You will want to uninstall it, and reinstall it using the proper VLK assigned to your company. 

If you need help looking up your proper VLK, please post back and I can give you more instructions.

Thanks!
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 2:12 AM
  • I bought this software at a computer fair in Fort Washington, PA, almost 2 years ago for several hundred dollars, and all was well until I installed it on this laptop. Thanks Dan and Michelle for interpreting the diagnosis. In light of what you've said, I think I've been beat. Do you know if I have any recourse short of buying it again?

Computer fairs = Caveat emptor.

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 3:35 AM
  • Hi Peengreace,

That is horrible and I am sorry that you were taken advantage of.  Unfortunately, it seems to be a fairly common practice.  You do have a couple of options.

1) Report the piracy to Microsoft:  http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx - This will allow our legal team to follow up on it and hopefully prevent this from happening to others in the future.

2) Validate your office product:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/office/Validate.aspx?displaylang=en - If you 'expand' the details, you will see info about the office apps that failed validation and the reason why.  On this same web page, if you click the GET GENUINE NOW button, it will display all of the options available to you for getting genuine Office.

You can review the details for the COMPLIMENTARY OFFER - this does require high quality media to be submitted.

One thing in the future if you are buying a second-hand PC, you could always ask the seller to connect to the Internet and validate the software at:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/ - From the genuine web site you can validate both Windows (XP and Vista) and Office (XP, 2003 and the new 2007 version).  This way at least you walk away knowing you've got genuine software.  I know this always is not possible, but it's just one additional thing you can try to protect your investment.

Again, I'm sorry that this happened to you.  If you do decide to purchase Office, the new 2007 versions just shipped at the end of January.  They are really nice.  You can check out the various suites and even download a trial version from here:  http://us1.trymicrosoftoffice.com/default.aspx?culture=en-US 

Good luck!!
    Michelle

Wednesday, February 7, 2007 6:23 PM