NEED THESE FEATURES... MAYBE WINDOWS HOME ADVANCED SERVER? RRS feed

• Question

• Here are some features that i would really like to see in windows home server, and if these features are put into windows home server then i would definetly invest my money into it

i think microsoft should maybe create a version that is a little more loaded with windows server 03 feaures such as...
    1. support for the ability to create a domain to login to, thus allowing parental controls and user names to be syncronized (Active Directory)
    2. The user policy/group policy settings from win server 03

that is what i have so far, if i think of anything more i will post onto this
    basicly what i want to see though is a version of windows server 2003 that is priced better for the home user, so that i can manage my home network of multiple computers. windows server 2003 has everything i need and more but it costs too much for my needs
    microsoft please help me out here!
    thank you!
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:58 AM

All replies

• Here are some features that i would really like to see in windows home server, and if these features are put into windows home server then i would definetly invest my money into it

i think microsoft should maybe create a version that is a little more loaded with windows server 03 feaures such as...
    1. support for the ability to create a domain to login to, thus allowing parental controls and user names to be syncronized (Active Directory)
    2. The user policy/group policy settings from win server 03

that is what i have so far, if i think of anything more i will post onto this
    basicly what i want to see though is a version of windows server 2003 that is priced better for the home user, so that i can manage my home network of multiple computers. windows server 2003 has everything i need and more but it costs too much for my needs
    microsoft please help me out here!
    thank you!
    You should file a product suggestion on Connect.  Having said that, I don't see that ever happening.  1)  The product is designed for non-technical users (which AD and Group Policy don't fall into that category).  2) Revenue protection:  if you want all of those features, you have to pay for it (no way are they going to sell a full server OS for $100).
    Friday, September 4, 2009 5:17 AM
  • I'm going to be a little more direct than Kariya21: if you need the features of Windows Server 2003, or of Windows Small Business Server, then you should buy that OS. Windows Home Server is not Windows Server 2003 Lite. In addition, Windows Home Server is designed to be easy for someone with no technical skills to manage; Windows Server 2003 is most decidedly not, and in particular Active Directory is extremely confusing even for some people who work with it regularly.

In general, Active Directory is a pain in the butt in a home environment. Unless you set up a proper PDC/BDC configuration, you are going to be in a world of trouble if your domain controller dies. And someday it will die.

All that said, submit a product suggestion detailing your specific wants and reasons. A generic "Give me AD!" will likely fall on deaf ears, for reasons already stated. E.g. a specific "I need the ability to manage parental controls centrally in Windows Home Server, because I have x (where x is large) number of children, each of whom has their own computer. Here's what I want to do, and here's how I see Windows Home Server helping me do it." might get some attention.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 4, 2009 3:28 PM