Moving and importing organization when there are different organization names RRS feed

• Question

• I'm about to move a CRM deployment from one server to another (this includes new SQL and CRM server). I'm wondering if there could be any issues migrating data when I change the name (unique) of the organization? Like this:

Old server:

• UniqueName: ContosoInc
    • FriendlyName: Contoso Inc

New server:

• UniqueName: Crm
    • FriendlyName: Contoso Inc

Reason for the change of unique name is due that the deployment is going to be IFD enabled, and it would create a "better" url. Is it possible to do this just by using the deployment manager and import the organization?

My way of doing this is sort of going to be this:

1. install CRM on new server
    2. disable org on old server
    3. detach database (org_mscrm) from old sql server
    4. attach database (org_mscrm) to new sql server
    5. import org using deployment tool
    Any thoughts on this?
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 9:39 AM

Answers

• I would get a base organization running on the new server.

Then import the production organization into the new instance.

Don't worry at first about disabling the old server for now.

This would be similar to moving a copy of the production organization to a dev environment.  Using a seperate OU for the instance allows for the two CRM instances to coexist on the domain.

Don't forget to have deployment administration rights setup for the account that you will use to import the org to the new server before you copy the database over to the new server.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    • Marked as answer by flowjob Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:01 PM

All replies

This would be similar to moving a copy of the production organization to a dev environment.  Using a seperate OU for the instance allows for the two CRM instances to coexist on the domain.

Don't forget to have deployment administration rights setup for the account that you will use to import the org to the new server before you copy the database over to the new server.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    • Marked as answer by flowjob Wednesday, December 1, 2010 3:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 7:01 PM

Curtis J Spanburgh

Dear Curtis,

I am having quite similar problem.

After importing successfully, I can see both Org enabled (I am running CRM 4 Ent). So I disable the old organization instance and set the new organization as a default one. When I try to log in I receive the error message "Invalid User Authorization
    The user authentication passed to the platform is not valid." Thought I mapped user account manually, I don know how am i gonna fix this problem. But when I try to enable and default the old one, I can log in normally. Now, I really don know how to get my new server running on my old data. Please help.

Thursday, December 23, 2010 5:43 AM