Where is the 'deactivate' Microsoft Office? RRS feed

• Question

• Although I have seen things speaking to this, I think it's worth bringing up again... why can't I deactivate Office 2007?  The problem I am running into is that while I own (read: paid for) Office 2007, I am now getting harassed at install telling me I need to activate via phone and verifying how many times I have installed it.

Some people, such as myself, tinker with and play with PCs quite often and it's not uncommon for me to rebuild my PC from scratch perhaps 3+ times per year... so even though I have only one PC, and one install of Office, I have installed it on that same PC multiple times and now get bothered installing my own software. :/

Question 1: How can I get Office install to stop bothering me about my own software?   (yeah, I think I already know the answer...)

Question 2: If I can activate (read: turn on) something, why am I not allowed to deactivate (turn off) something? If Microsoft is going to track my activations, it is quite one-sided to not be also tracking uninstallation/deactivation. Will this be resolved in future versions?

Thanks for listening to my rant... :)   This has been an issue for me, one having me looking towards Linux and/or Mac solutions...

/dustin/
    Friday, January 23, 2009 12:44 PM

Answers

• Morning Dustin,

Acutally activation falls outside the support scope for Office Genuine Advantage.  Also can you tell me the verision you own such as is it Retail, OEM, Ultimate Version? Please read Knowledge Base Article 302806, Description of Microsoft Product Activation, located at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/302806 .  There are links here which may be able to provide you with answers. 

Take care Dustin,

STephen

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 23, 2009 6:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:47 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• Morning Dustin,

Acutally activation falls outside the support scope for Office Genuine Advantage.  Also can you tell me the verision you own such as is it Retail, OEM, Ultimate Version? Please read Knowledge Base Article 302806, Description of Microsoft Product Activation, located at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/302806 .  There are links here which may be able to provide you with answers. 

Take care Dustin,

STephen

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Friday, January 23, 2009 6:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:47 PM
    Friday, January 23, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Actually this was brought up in this same are before now (link below) and I think this is more of a frustration point...

If Microsoft is going to track how many times I activate the product, then Microsoft /must/ also track when I am 'deactivating' or uninstalling the product. If the deactivation/uninstalltion isnt being tracked, then Microsoft is simply harrasing a user who is abiding by the terms of the EULA.

Track activation? Sure - no problem. But track deactivation/uninstallation as well, or at least stop making installs a pain by making me go through a long phone-activation process for a product I paid just over $400 for! It's software usage I purchased, leave me alone about using it unless Microsoft will track both aspects of usage...

Gettin' off the soapbox... (no reply needed... doubtful MS has a good reply for this one-sided focus on software piracy)

Prior link: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineoffice/thread/705c4819-a512-454f-91ca-8530df3e114f/

/dustin/
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:55 PM