Data Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any ability to migrate data from one hard drive to another?  Given how people will be accessing this from the WHS console or a share, how do you know that you're moving data to/from the right hard drive?  I'd like the ability to access a drive normally and not as an NTFS junction mount.  I understand the reason behind file duplication but it doesn't really let me manage things at a hardware level.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 9:41 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server doesn't really give you the ability to manage things at a hardware level. All moving of data is done from/to the network shares, and Drive Extender deals with deciding what drive to store any given file on. So the answer to your question is that no, there is no way to migrate data between the drives that WHS controls.

If you want to take an external drive and connect it so you can copy data to WHS, you can do that. You connect the drive but don't add it in WHS Console, then remote to the WHS desktop. Assign the newly connected drive a drive letter, and copy files off it to the network shares. Afterward, you can remove the drive letter and add the drive to the storage pool, at which point WHS will format it and take over management of it. From that point on the drive belongs to WHS, and should only be disconnected after first removing it in the console and waiting for that operation to complete.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 10:06 PM
  •  HappyCracker wrote:
    I know I could do that, but what if I wanted to get off of some already installed smaller hard drives onto some new larger ones?  With the duplication feature, files exist on multiple drives but if I want to remove two drives, how do I know I'm not taking both copies of the data?

I think when you log into the WHS console and select remove drive it will then calculate what data is duplicated and not duplicated and move the data around appropriatly before allowing you to remove the drive.

I think the key thing is that it will ensure that you have enough space available to allow the removal of that drive first.

The other option may be to plug in the new drive.. add it to the pool and then remove the old drive using hte same method and it will migrate the data off of it onto the new drives.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:13 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server doesn't really give you the ability to manage things at a hardware level. All moving of data is done from/to the network shares, and Drive Extender deals with deciding what drive to store any given file on. So the answer to your question is that no, there is no way to migrate data between the drives that WHS controls.

If you want to take an external drive and connect it so you can copy data to WHS, you can do that. You connect the drive but don't add it in WHS Console, then remote to the WHS desktop. Assign the newly connected drive a drive letter, and copy files off it to the network shares. Afterward, you can remove the drive letter and add the drive to the storage pool, at which point WHS will format it and take over management of it. From that point on the drive belongs to WHS, and should only be disconnected after first removing it in the console and waiting for that operation to complete.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 10:06 PM
  • I know I could do that, but what if I wanted to get off of some already installed smaller hard drives onto some new larger ones?  With the duplication feature, files exist on multiple drives but if I want to remove two drives, how do I know I'm not taking both copies of the data?
    Friday, April 20, 2007 11:52 PM
  •  HappyCracker wrote:
    I know I could do that, but what if I wanted to get off of some already installed smaller hard drives onto some new larger ones?  With the duplication feature, files exist on multiple drives but if I want to remove two drives, how do I know I'm not taking both copies of the data?

I think when you log into the WHS console and select remove drive it will then calculate what data is duplicated and not duplicated and move the data around appropriatly before allowing you to remove the drive.

I think the key thing is that it will ensure that you have enough space available to allow the removal of that drive first.

The other option may be to plug in the new drive.. add it to the pool and then remove the old drive using hte same method and it will migrate the data off of it onto the new drives.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 12:13 AM
  •  HappyCracker wrote:
    I know I could do that, but what if I wanted to get off of some already installed smaller hard drives onto some new larger ones? With the duplication feature, files exist on multiple drives but if I want to remove two drives, how do I know I'm not taking both copies of the data?
    You remove/replace one drive at a time? Almost seems too easy, doesn't it? Smile
    Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:06 AM
  • adding is very easy. removing is a sort of "room for developement available".

for better user ergonomic I would like to see a button "move", so the user would be capable to start a service. DE or whatever is moving he datas from one drive to another. After the source (the smaler one) is empty, the user will get informed via the tray icon to process some manuall activites (removing the hardware). With the choie of moving instead of removing and adding there should not be a problem with duplication, etc. This would be more secure. If this moving service gets interupted, no problem... as long as the moving has not finished both drives are hook at the Extender and will act in cooperation.

Saturday, April 21, 2007 3:23 PM