WHS 2011 has critical error for low drive space on my recovery partition RRS feed

• Question

• All of my computers have a recovery partition and I keep getting critical alerts that the D: drive (the recovery partition) has low disk space.  I can delete the alerts but of course they return.  I can't fine a way to disable alerts on the D partition only.  Very annoying. Any thoughts?
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 3:27 AM

All replies

• If It's 2011 you click ignore and they do not "alert" anymore
    Grey
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:24 PM
  • Hi Still,  I will try that (thought I had already) - thanks!

-Dennis

** Update **  That didn't work.  I ignored it and deleted it.  The same alert came back within 15 minutes.   
    • Edited by tmguru Wednesday, November 30, 2011 11:04 PM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:04 PM
  • I have the same problem. I cannot tell it to ignore recovery partition on laptop and not look at it again.

This must be a common problem for people with laptops with recovery partitions who are backing up to WHS 2011.

Any solutions please?

Thursday, March 29, 2012 2:06 PM
  • Don't back up the recovery partition.

Windows Home Server 2011 uses Volume Shadowcopy Services (VSS) to take a snapshot of each drive as it's backed up, to ensure a consistent "point in time" image of the disk. VSS requires a certain amount of free space on any drive it's expected to take a snapshot of, however, and recovery partitions are generally just barely large enough for the compressed disk image they contain, plus the loader that expands that onto your main partition. So you can either increase the size of the recovery partition (not always possible, and honestly rather wasteful of space) or you don't back up the recovery partition.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:25 PM