Backup of all files RRS feed

• Question

•  

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. The decision of what I need in my backup is not really my decision?

If I wanted to backup my executable files, yes I DO, I can not, is this correct? Am I to assume that a third party is actually telling me that they know what I should backup? If this is the case I suppose I'm off to search for some other method of backup.

I do not want to hear about a work around I want a automated backup!

I am quite capable of duplicating files to DVD or other location.

From WIKI "In information technology, backup refers to making copies of data so that these additional copies may be used to restore the original after a data loss event.”

ANYTHING I STORE MANUALLY ON MY MACHINE IS CONSIDERED, BY ME,  AS DATA I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP HANDY, IF THIS BACKUP SOLUTION CANNOT KEEP THESE FILES PROTECTED WHAT GOOD IS IT?

If I am wrong, quite often I am, and these files can be backed up please excuse my ignorance.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 11:34 PM

Answers

• You are not wrong. The decision was made by the OneCare backup team to exclude certain file types and locations from being backed up. I don't know the reason and can only speculate.

Yes, you should consider another backup solution if you desire a feature that the OneCare data file backup process does not address for you.

-steve

Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:15 PM

All replies

• You are not wrong. The decision was made by the OneCare backup team to exclude certain file types and locations from being backed up. I don't know the reason and can only speculate.

Yes, you should consider another backup solution if you desire a feature that the OneCare data file backup process does not address for you.

-steve

Sunday, March 30, 2008 2:15 PM
  •  

Steve

Thank you for the reply. I have moved on to a product that fits the bill for backing up. I think that MS should change the term "BACKUP" in this product to archive, as that seems to be the better description. I do not believe that I will ever understand why software vendors take a position that the end user of their product is incapable of using their product and to that end they, the software vendor, produce a catch all mediocre product. If this model is the model end users have to look forward to in the future, maybe their should be some though to adding three levels of availability in every product.

1.) Take over for me, I do not know what I am doing (prepackaged plans)

2.) I would like a wizard to help me through this (prepackaged plan with minimal options)

3.) I will configure every aspect of the product on my own (tech savvy user)

Once 1, 2 or 3 has been selected a profile is created for the user in the selected mode and off we go.....

Again thank you for the quick response

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:31 PM
  • You're welcome and I'm sure that many would agree with your suggestion. :-)

-steve

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 5:45 PM