Windows Phone 7 Connector RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I bought the new Phone 7 and to my great surprise, I couldn't out of the box access the music, videos, tv and picture on my vail server. My guess is that MS haven't planned for this and it needs some kind of WHS connector on the Phone, or if I could do ith with out of the box DLNA somehow? The power of vail is that it can transcode and stream, and it supports dlna as well, so it should be possible to browse my pictures from my phone 7. It feels incredibly stupid to have to sync the music through zune, when I have a wireless n network and 20 GB of music, I really don't want to sync to the phone. I don't like the idea of pushing information to different devices unless really needed. If I plan to go on a long trip, then I see a benefit to copy the media to the phone, because of roaming fees, but when I am at my own wireless network... no!

/H

Henrik
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:57 AM

Answers

• If your phone can act as a DLNA client device and your media is in a supported format, then I agree you should be able to access your media locally. I don't think Windows Phone 7 does this natively, but perhaps there will be an app from some ISV or other. The Windows Home Server team is unlikely to be the source of that app, however.

From afar, maybe you could use the Silverlight player, though I think you'd chew up your monthly bandwidth allotment pretty quickly that way, so downloading to your phone is the obvious way to go here.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Well, "Play To" isn't client functionality, it's server functionality. For whatever reason, most mobile DLNA implmentations focus on getting media from your phone to client devices, almost none (none I know of, anyway) on getting media from your server to your phone. A few also include DLNA controller functionality, where you can tell server A to "Play To" client B.

There's nothing keeping an ISV from building a DLNA client for Windows Phone 7, however. It wouldn't involve a Windows Home Server "connector", either, it would be a standard DLNA client.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:03 PM

All replies

• If your phone can act as a DLNA client device and your media is in a supported format, then I agree you should be able to access your media locally. I don't think Windows Phone 7 does this natively, but perhaps there will be an app from some ISV or other. The Windows Home Server team is unlikely to be the source of that app, however.

From afar, maybe you could use the Silverlight player, though I think you'd chew up your monthly bandwidth allotment pretty quickly that way, so downloading to your phone is the obvious way to go here.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:14 PM
  • Hi!

I use the Optimus 7, and it has a so-so useful "play to" feature, but I haven't found any way for it to discover other dlna devices to "play from"...

I ahve to admit, I haven't had much luck with the wireless sync options in Zune either. I have configured both the phone and Zune to allow wireless sync, but when I downloaded a couple of podcasts and right clicked on them and selected "sync to LG-..." nothing happened. Off topic, I know.

To sum up things, WHS 2 has focus on media, Windows Phone 7 has focus on media with it's integration to Zune, then why on earth is it so difficult for these products to integrate????

I admit, the satistics wotk in our disadvantage... A few perfect of all Windows 7 users run a WHS, and perhaps 2 % of these use a windows phone 7, so I very much doubt that there at the current time is a large enough base to develop a connector. But if MS plan to keep the user numbers this low, then why not just scrap the whole WHS concept, since the desire to grow to a user base outside the peopel here, seems to be non existent.

I have complained before about MS inability to see to the whole, the end user and from what I can see, here is yet another possible failure. MS need to decide:

- Who do we make products for

- What does these people want (or don't know that they want, if you ask Matlow)

WHS seems to be something in between, they recon it is for home users, but the development team is in the business segment. Does MS have a home entertainment division at all? If they have, throw in Windows Media Center, Zune, WHS and WP7 people together and let them create a whole concept that the average people can grasp and understand. Right now there are too many "islands" of great ideas, but they get flooded and die eventually because the lack of vision and communication. Final example, MS was among the first to design a OS that could run as a tablet,  why is it that everyone talks about the IPad now? Media Center is way much better than the crappy Front Row, yet, everyone is talking about AppleTV, why?

Sorry, didn't mean to preach... I just don't want to see the products I like and enjoy go down the drain.

/H

Henrik
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 1:44 PM
  • Well, "Play To" isn't client functionality, it's server functionality. For whatever reason, most mobile DLNA implmentations focus on getting media from your phone to client devices, almost none (none I know of, anyway) on getting media from your server to your phone. A few also include DLNA controller functionality, where you can tell server A to "Play To" client B.

There's nothing keeping an ISV from building a DLNA client for Windows Phone 7, however. It wouldn't involve a Windows Home Server "connector", either, it would be a standard DLNA client.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 4:03 PM
  • hi My Role model Mr Ken Waren

do you think is possible for 2 Operating system winsvr2 one hardrive and one homeserver on another harddrive on the same server?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:37 PM