Synchronization of prepopulated tables? RRS feed

• Question

• I have implemented bidirectional synchronization with decoupled tracking for exactly 4 tables. Server is SQL Ent edition and client is Sql Express 2005 with WCF service in between to synchronize data across two databases.

TableC - 100 records
    TableAG - 200000 records
    TableT - 400000 records
    TableK - 600000 records

Now server database already exists and in use, so we temporarily modified sync triggers to insert records in empty server Tracking tables in order to download them at client end during first synchronization. [IS THIS THE RIGHT APPROACH, OR DO WE HAVE ANY ALTERNATIVE TO DOWNLOAD ALL THE SEVER RECORDS TO CLIENT?]
    • Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 11:57 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Monday, August 17, 2009 2:58 PM

Answers

• Yes in MSF V1 you will have to populate the tracking metadata for preexisting rows. In MSF V2 this is done by the provisioning APIs. In addition in V2 you can backup and restore the data to clients and avoid it from being sent over the wire.

thanks
    Sudarshan

Development Lead , Microsoft
    Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:45 PM

All replies

• Mandy,
    Quick question: are you using MSF V2 CTP2 for sync SQL Ent to SQL Express? If you are then you can use the new provisioning APIs to setup sync tracking on SQL Ent side. These APIs will populate the necessary metadata in tracking tables so the SQL Ent database is ready to sync with client.

thanks
    Sudarshan
    Monday, August 17, 2009 5:40 PM
  • Thanks Sudarshan.

I am using MSF v1, I am aware that, we have CTP2 release for MSF V2 and Sync Services for ADO.NET V3 but its a CTP and it doesnt have a GoLive license associated with it which means there is no guarantees with regards to performance. :)

Ref : http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/uklaunch2007ado.net/thread/2aa736ba-db0e-47f2-a0f6-ccb503b94ab9

Is manual insertion of tracking records is the only option with MSF v1?

Regards,
    Mandy
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:57 AM
  • Yes in MSF V1 you will have to populate the tracking metadata for preexisting rows. In MSF V2 this is done by the provisioning APIs. In addition in V2 you can backup and restore the data to clients and avoid it from being sent over the wire.

thanks
    Sudarshan

Thursday, August 20, 2009 6:45 PM
  • Right, Thanks for your time!

By the time we have official copy of v2, I will go with v1. :)
    Friday, August 21, 2009 5:05 AM