Live OneCare Beta 2.0 comming RRS feed

• Question

• Here is the article that I took from: windowsitpro.com and from the Windows Live OneCare Forums site.

In the wake of reports that its Windows Live OneCare security suite is inadequate, Microsoft announced plans this morning to release a OneCare Live 2.0 beta soon. OneCare Live 2.0 will push beyond the suite's security focus to provide continuous and holistic care of all the PCs in a household, Microsoft said.

"Windows Live OneCare continues to evolve by providing consumers with new features and unified integration between PCs," a Microsoft representative told me yesterday. "OneCare version 2 marks a significant step toward the support of a typical multi-PC household and home network as more and more consumers become a part of multi-PC households."

According to Microsoft, OneCare Live 2.0 will include all the security features of OneCare Live 1.5 and will be able to be licensed for as many as three PCs per household. OneCare Live 2.0 will also include wireless connection setup and security features, a boot-time optimizer, automated monthly computer usage and security reports, online photo backup functionality (for an additional charge), unified monitoring and maintenance of networked PCs, printer sharing, and automated PC tune-ups.

Meanwhile, OneCare Live 1.5 is performing poorly in security tests. According to online comparison Web site AV-comparatives.org, OneCare Live 1.5 received the worst score out of the seventeen products tested. As a result, OneCare Live 1.5 was the only security product not to be certified by the Web site. However, Microsoft said that OneCare Live 1.5 is certified by West Coast Lab's Checkmark certification system, "the de facto standard in Europe for security product certification and testing to real-world standards."

The OneCare Live 2.0 beta will begin in late April, and Microsoft plans to ship the final version of OneCare Live 2.0 in third quarter 2007. You can sign up for the beta at Microsoft's Web site.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 2:41 PM

Answers

• Here is another article I have found at pcmag.com initially posted in the OneCare Forums.

Dawg.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:15 AM
  • FYI, the update came today. Beta 2.0 is here.

Dawg.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:00 AM

All replies

• I just installed WHS yesterday and was thinking about WLOC while I was installing wondering if there would be a new version that would run on WHS and manage all of my computers that were running WLOC as well.  Would be nice for WLOC on the WHS to download the updates and disperse them out to the computers in my house as they come on line.  That would save bandwidth for me and for MS by only having to pull updates down once.  An integration between them would be nice.  Keeping the license at three PCs per household seems strange.  If 10 pcs can be connected to WHS then there should be 10 available to WLOC as well.  Or at least the option for that, I don't have 10 PCs in my home but I do have 5, sure would be nice to be able to have them all covered under one license.

Sunday, March 11, 2007 3:27 PM
  •  

Here are some recent reviews.  I am sure this had an impact on their decision, as it would make me think again if I were still using it.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129521/article.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129722/article.html

http://zdnet.com.au/blogs/securifythis/soa/Did_Microsoft_OneCare_kill_your_Outlook_/0,139033343,339274179,00.htm

Sunday, March 11, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Here is another article I have found at pcmag.com initially posted in the OneCare Forums.

Dawg.
    Monday, March 12, 2007 4:15 AM
  • Do we know if this ever went to beta? I signed up way back (and at the time was a paying 1.x user), but have received no notification.

Thanks ... Mike

Saturday, June 16, 2007 12:38 AM
  • Im in the latest beta group, and install does not work. It gives a "Unsupported Operating System" error.
    Saturday, June 16, 2007 2:53 AM
  • I dont think so. I have not been notified, and cant seem to find anything on it. I seem to check every other day.

Please report back if you hear or see something.

Dawg.

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:54 AM
  • Thanks everyone.

Having something like OneCare integrated in WHS seems like it would be a big selling point.

I can't tell you how tired I am of going to each family member's PC the morning after the scheduled tune-up to make sure it didn't choke (or worse, my pet peeve - having to manually run Windows Update from within the OneCare GUI because it says I haven't checked for critical updates, hey I though it was supposed to do that for me).

But I digress, since this isn't the OneCare forum. Suffice it to say managing it from one place (WHS) would be great.

Mike

Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:51 PM
  • Here is the latest from the inside microsoft RSS

http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/archives/2007/07/05/windows-live-onecare-20-beta-starting/

I downloaded the beta link. It says that it will download ver 1.62 on your system then upgrade to ver 2.0 in the next few days. Sure enough I downloaded the software without any problems and it reset my trial version to 240 days (I was down to 2 days on the current 90 day trial)  Now I am just waiting for it to bump up to 2.0

I tried an install on WHS, but still not working on server2003.

Dawg.

Friday, July 6, 2007 10:09 PM
  • FYI, the update came today. Beta 2.0 is here.

Dawg.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 3:00 AM
  • Thanks Dawg, I'll check it out when I get back to my home systems.

Bummer about no support on WHS though.

Mike

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 2:55 PM
  • one interesting whs tie-in, OneCare recognizes that your pc is already being backed up by whs and asks if you want to also back it up with OneCare.
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:12 PM
  •   LiveOneCare 2.0 is a vast improvement over previous releases.  Can be used with three PCs as other versions - it gives the option of turning off it's backup if it detects another backup (WHS) - however it only provides for file backup.  In a network you can designate a computer as the "Hub" from which LOC functions on the others can be monitored including backups which can be sent to external devices.

Though virus check time has been significantly reduced the tuneup function can be lengthy since it also includes defrag.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:37 PM
  • I was pleasantly surprised to see that it will allow backups to a WHS share and have been using this for my x64 clients. I was unpleasantly surprised to discover that the "Hub" can only manage 3 computers. It's almost as if MS is positioning LOC as the 1-3 computer household backup while WHS is the 2-10 solution.

Of course this ignores the AV portion of LOC leaving no real viable home solution for central AV application management in the 4-10 computer household.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:14 PM
  • I've got a couple machines running OneCare, and a WHS machine, what I have been doing is start the server, back-up the machines then shut it down till next time, so far all is well, although I would like to have some kind of AV, AS, software running on the server but have not found any that I would be happy with yet.

My ideal setup would be to run WLOC on the server too along with my other two machines and all would be great! Have posted elsewhere and asked about the WLOC on the WHS and have been told it will not work, seems to me this would be a nobrainer for MS, WHS +WLOC= mANY hAPPY gEEKS!

Anyway, the other day I stumbled on this, check it out www.yoggie.com if I understand it correctly this could be something I would be very pleased with. A self contained Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti- Everything you need, plus it covers five machines! Installed between the Internet Modem and your Router the Yoggie Gatekeeper SOHO protects up to five computers, costs $249.00 initially, then $69.00 for yearly subscription updating. (think I got this right, read the website )

Sounds great to me, anybody know anything about this?

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:16 AM