Cloning Boot Drive with Windows Oncare RRS feed

• Question

• I want to replace my current SATA boot drive with a larger,faster SATA HDD. Is it possible to use the Back up and Recovery utility in Windows OneCare to copy the entire contents of my current drive byte for byte, registry, OS and all to my new drive so that I can then boot from it.  

Thursday, January 1, 2009 6:05 PM

Answers

• No, OneCare only backs up data based on selection in your backup plan for file types. It does not backup the registry, programs, or Windows files.
    To clone the drive you will need software specifically designed for that task. I've successfully used Acronis True Image for this in the past, but there are many other 3rd party products up to the job.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:26 AM

All replies

• No, OneCare only backs up data based on selection in your backup plan for file types. It does not backup the registry, programs, or Windows files.
    To clone the drive you will need software specifically designed for that task. I've successfully used Acronis True Image for this in the past, but there are many other 3rd party products up to the job.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:26 AM
  •  

Thanks for the reply.

With Windows OneCare out of the way, I will now look for something else on the Web and buy if I have to.

Of the programs I have read about so far, Acronis seems to be what would suit me best. It works with Windows and Linux which I plan to experiment with later this winter by installing it on a different HDD. I also want to read more about PING

Friday, January 2, 2009 5:36 PM