WHS as Media Server with Apple TV? RRS feed

• Question

• For better or for worse, I'm using Apple TV at the TV side and streaming audio/video through it. Now that I've got all my media set up on WHS, I've made the unfortunate discovery that iTunes does not support WHS. I'm wondering if it's possible to use the built in media server to stream to Apple TV. If not, I can always share the drives to my desktop PC and stream from there, but that's not a very elegant solution.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:21 PM

Answers

• If Apple TV can be configured to consume media streamed using Windows Media Connect 2.0, then yes you could stream to your Apple TV. But I doubt that Apple has included support for a Microsoft product; they obviously have a vision of what the connected home should be like, and it's not very much like Microsoft's vision. Possibly your Apple TV could be configured to play directly off the server shares?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I have been using my AppleTV as a head for my WHS for a while now. I am not using iTunes, however, I am using Firefly & Bonjour on WHS and XBMC on my AppleTV. Great combination. I understand that the HP WHS came with something for iTunes, which should work with AppleTV. And I have heard of people running iTunes on the server WHS is housed on and using that to serve the AppleTV although I have not done that myself. I have tried some Windows media streamers for my TV with WHS and nothing is even close to as good as AppleTV. Search the XBMC forums if you want to know more about AppleTV, XBMC, and WHS.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:54 PM

All replies

• If Apple TV can be configured to consume media streamed using Windows Media Connect 2.0, then yes you could stream to your Apple TV. But I doubt that Apple has included support for a Microsoft product; they obviously have a vision of what the connected home should be like, and it's not very much like Microsoft's vision. Possibly your Apple TV could be configured to play directly off the server shares?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:53 PM
  • I have been using my AppleTV as a head for my WHS for a while now. I am not using iTunes, however, I am using Firefly & Bonjour on WHS and XBMC on my AppleTV. Great combination. I understand that the HP WHS came with something for iTunes, which should work with AppleTV. And I have heard of people running iTunes on the server WHS is housed on and using that to serve the AppleTV although I have not done that myself. I have tried some Windows media streamers for my TV with WHS and nothing is even close to as good as AppleTV. Search the XBMC forums if you want to know more about AppleTV, XBMC, and WHS.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:54 PM