Media sharing from all kinds of folders RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to be able to define which media files that show up on my server.

For instance i have loads of photos i've taken over the years. These folders also includes some movies i did with my camera as well. These moveis also show up in the media category Movies and i don't want that.

Also all images in my music-folder including album-covers show up under pictures which i don't want.

HOW can i make sure that i only have my movies in the Movies-share, photos and other images in the Pictures-share and not have the album-covers show anywhere other than as cover-art?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:54 AM

Answers

• so i can limit which folder is designated for streaming...

say i have folders for Pictures, Music, Movies, Recorded TV, Documents, Downloads
    they all are available to users in the system but i only want say Movies and Music to contain material for streaming.

i can set this somewhere?

would this prevent movies that for some reason or other is located in Pictures not to show up in Movies streaming?

this i need to check during the weekend, if this is possible i will be most happy. 

Yes, you can set this. Consult the help (available in the Dashboard) for details.

As for preventing other files from showing up for streaming: if a file is of a type that Windows Home Server can stream, and it's in a share that Windows Home Server has been instructed to stream, then it will be indexed and available for streaming. You can't choose to stream only video, or only photos, or to not stream audio, only to stream or not stream from a given server share.

So if you have a WMV file in a folder that contains photos, and you've told your server to stream from the share that that folder is part of, the WMV file will also be available for streaming. More commonly, if you have a file named albumart.jpg in each album folder in your music share, and you've told Windows Home Server to stream from the music share, then albumart.jpg will appear in the list of photos on your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken Warren Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Enlox Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:08 PM

All replies

• If you are talking about streaming, then you can't as that's a limitation of DLNA.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:14 AM
  • You can't, other than by not having the files there in the first place. When streaming media, all media in a folder that you've told your server to stream will be visible to consumers of that data; there's no way to say "from this share, stream only video, from this one, only audio, and from this other one, only images". 
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:16 AM
  • So basically whenever you add a folder to any ServerFolder if it contains images, audio or video it will automatically be added as such and be displayed in that category.

That is unfortunate. It would have been better if video would only be displayed as video if put in the Video or Recorded TV folders.

Is there any 3rd party DLNA-service that can be used for LAN-connected equipment which solves this issue?

For the webservices i guess i have to accept the fact but it would be nice to be able to have my PS3 and Samsung TV to only show the videos in the video-folder when streaming over the local nedwork...

(This actually worked for my previous Amahi home server, which was based on Fedora and a generic DLNA-service.)

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:31 AM
  • Only files in shares that you've designated for streaming, but any streamable file type in those shares, yes. (A Word document wouldn't show up for streaming, for instance.)

As for other equipment that solves the issue, not much that I'm aware of. Certainly nothing that acts as a DLNA "client" will solve it; those devices just consume what the DLNA "server" (your home server, in this case) makes available.

Other devices that act as DLNA servers might, but pretty obviously :) you won't find much information about that in a Windows Home Server forum.

If you would like to see this behavior changed, you could submit a product suggestion on Microsoft Connect.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:51 PM

say i have folders for Pictures, Music, Movies, Recorded TV, Documents, Downloads
    they all are available to users in the system but i only want say Movies and Music to contain material for streaming.

would this prevent movies that for some reason or other is located in Pictures not to show up in Movies streaming?

this i need to check during the weekend, if this is possible i will be most happy. 

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:07 PM

Yes, you can set this. Consult the help (available in the Dashboard) for details.

As for preventing other files from showing up for streaming: if a file is of a type that Windows Home Server can stream, and it's in a share that Windows Home Server has been instructed to stream, then it will be indexed and available for streaming. You can't choose to stream only video, or only photos, or to not stream audio, only to stream or not stream from a given server share.

So if you have a WMV file in a folder that contains photos, and you've told your server to stream from the share that that folder is part of, the WMV file will also be available for streaming. More commonly, if you have a file named albumart.jpg in each album folder in your music share, and you've told Windows Home Server to stream from the music share, then albumart.jpg will appear in the list of photos on your server.

• Edited by Ken Warren Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by Enlox Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:03 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Specifically to address the fact that unwanted cover-art is showing up:

You need to ensure that your cover-art files are renamed to "Folder.jpg" in your music folders. If you do this, then they won't show up in your Pictures share. Otherwise they will.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:56 PM