Yet Another "Cannot connect to backup services on the server" problem - Is anybody listening?? RRS feed

• Question

• Let me start out by saying that this is my first post and WHS is great stuff. I was given an Official copy of the WHS OS by my nephew for Christmas, and built a great little machine. It now lives in my wiring closet and is doing its backup thing to our 5 client PCs every night.

The other day, I was trying to open up and view a backup file, as a test, and it gagged with an error. If you cannot open up all, and restore, the backup files, this whole thing is for not...

I am getting the following error message "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running." when I try to load a stored backup file on a XP MCE PC. I have searched and found ArticleID# 939218, which describes the problem closely, but its main premise is that the connector software was loaded under a different admin ID than is currently being used for the restore process. I have always use the same admin user ID to load the connector software and for the restore process.

All 5 clients are getting backed up every night with no problems. I can access the backup files in restore mode on the other XP MCE and the three Vista Premium machines, so I am assuming that the server side is working as it should.

The problem only is with my main Dell XPS600 XP MCE machine. It has a 250GB RAID 1 Drive C:, which is what is being backed up. It uses the Nvidia MediaShield RAID storage system. I have about 75GB of free space and have never had any problems with the machine in over two years.

Other folks have mentioned having a service in the device manager, under Storage Volumes. In one case, they had duplicate services, as they tried to reload the connector software, but I cannot find any such service in my device manager. Before starting, there are no WHS devices I can see...

The process is that I start the restore from the connector software on the client. It starts showing a completion window going up at a quick rate.

At about 3% of the restore, a device called Home Server Restore Driver 2 loads into the System Devices Section.

Then, the completion window starts on the WHS Console window in the background, and passes the restore window until it finished and goes away.

At about 79%, a device called Generic Volume loads into the Storage Volumes section. The restore window completion stops at 79% and then very slowly proceeds to about 91% before it gags with the error message. From 80% to 91% the system does a couple of 'device checks' where the DVD and USB storage devices get checked for status or ??

Then it gags at about 91% with the "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running" error message. When you terminate the restore, all the devices go away.

I have tried this about 10 times with the same results - except on the second or third try, which was the reason for all the retrys, it actually worked and brought up the Z: restore Explorer window... ... ...

When it fails, I checked the event viewers...

On the XP Client side were, in order of occurrence:

1. Event 132 - Process MountBackup failed <a long file spec> (526)
    2. Event 268 - From DAHO-SERVER, received ClusterData response in state AwaitingEndRestore
    3. Event 1000 - Faulting application mountbackup.exe <version info> , fault address 0x0002cddd.
    4. Event 1001 - Fault bucket 537080255.

Then, on the Server side was:

1. Event 263 - Restore of DELLXPS600 C:\ by DELLXPS600 has started.
    2. Event 264 - Restore of DELLXPS600 C:\ by DELLXPS600 prepartation phase has completed.
    3. Event 265 - Restore of DELLXPS600 C:\ by DELLXPS600 has finished successfully.
    4. Event 270 - Received abort message from DELLXPS600 with reason 2.

I am not sure what this all means. It appears that the server side thinks it all went ok - as would reflect the completion window action in the WHS console software.

So, I reloaded the connector software on the DELLXPS600 to see if that would resolve its restore problem. I removed the WHS connector software, restarted the machine and reloaded the software again. I tried to restore and got the same error that started this thread...

I can open the DELLXPS600 backup files from the other client PCs without problem, so they are good on the server side.

I have seen a lot of folks on the forums that are having the same type of issues for many months, but have not seen any solutions yet. I just cannot get the Dell machine to do the restore process.

Help...

Thanks, in advance, for all your help in trying to figure out and resolve this morass.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 7:23 PM

Answers

•  

During the restore, uninstall the Home Server Restore Driver

Cancel your restore, reboot your computer and run restore again.  It should reinstall the driver.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Joel,

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou...

I cannot begin to tell you how much time and frustration I have spent trying to deal with this issue. Your fix seems to have finally resolved it...

Lanny

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:19 PM
  • Mike, Windows Home Server's restore capability uses a "pseudo" driver to present a backup as another volume on a client PC. That loads as a device driver, and is visible in Device Manager. Joel is suggesting that once the restore process shows that driver loaded, you should uninstall it, then reboot your PC.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:54 AM

All replies

•  

During the restore, uninstall the Home Server Restore Driver

Cancel your restore, reboot your computer and run restore again.  It should reinstall the driver.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 9:48 PM
  • I'm not sure if this will help you, but I was getting the same error messages on attempted restores.  I reinstalled the connector software on the client machine, rebooted it, and the problem went away.

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 1:17 PM
  • Joel,

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou...

I cannot begin to tell you how much time and frustration I have spent trying to deal with this issue. Your fix seems to have finally resolved it...

Lanny

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:19 PM
  • I'm having this problem now - what exactly do you mean by "During the restore, uninstall the Home Server Restore Driver"?
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:28 AM
  • Mike, Windows Home Server's restore capability uses a "pseudo" driver to present a backup as another volume on a client PC. That loads as a device driver, and is visible in Device Manager. Joel is suggesting that once the restore process shows that driver loaded, you should uninstall it, then reboot your PC.
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 5:54 AM
  • Got it! - Thanks Ken Smile
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:43 PM
  • BGood2,

Thanx Much !!!!

The reinstall worked perfectly and resolved the "cannot connect to the backup service" message.

Everyone else, TRY THIS FIRST!

Again, Thanx,

Dave

Friday, March 7, 2008 6:20 AM
  •  

Do you guys uninstall the connector software before reinstall or reinstall over the existing copy?  I'm having other problems, but I think a reinstall may fix it.  A connector computer reboot didn't.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 7:00 AM
  • No, John, just uninstall the driver through device manager, then cancel the restore and reboot. No manual reinstallation of anything is required.
    Friday, March 7, 2008 12:54 PM
  •  

Sounds simple enough.  Thank you very much,   John
    Friday, March 7, 2008 9:23 PM
  •  

I'm having the same issue.  I've read the entire thread.  I've got my Device Manager (XP Pro) open and I do not know what driver I am supposed to be looking for and uninstalling.  Would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Allen Millr

Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:02 PM

• @Allen:

I'm running Vista and the driver appears as 'Storage Volumes > Generic volume'. If you get the error at the very beginning of the opening process, the volume will not appear. A sys reboot got it to work for me so that now I know what to look for if it happens again.
    Saturday, May 24, 2008 4:24 AM
  • I have a similar problem, but uninstalling the driver for Generic volume and allowing to reinstall has not helped.  I also tried the Administator permissions fixes in the KB article.
    I get the error message on both XP and Vista machines, no matter which backup I try to open.  I always fail at the 81% mark when the Z drive tries to mount so it can present the backup on my local PC.

How can I troubleshoot this further?
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 7:31 PM
  • CRB3 said:

I have a similar problem, but uninstalling the driver for Generic volume and allowing to reinstall has not helped.  I also tried the Administator permissions fixes in the KB article.
    I get the error message on both XP and Vista machines, no matter which backup I try to open.  I always fail at the 81% mark when the Z drive tries to mount so it can present the backup on my local PC.

How can I troubleshoot this further?

The best thing to do at this point is to file a bug report on Connect.  Please see the first post by Lara Jones in this thread for an explanation of what is needed in a bug report.
    Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:21 PM
  • Thanks, I see some active discussion on this issue in the other thread.  I have created a new bug report in Connect as ID 390003, and submitted CAB files for further investigation.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:46 AM
  • I have just installed Windows 7 on my machine and am trying to access my backups of my XP Pro Machine and am getting this error.

I tried uninstalling the drive in the device manager - storage volume -> generic drive - and rebooting my machine (and the WHS machine) but still no luck.

It used to get stuck @ 81% but it doesn't any more. It goes all the way to 97%, but then gives me the same error.

Anyone found any fixes to this in Windows 7 beta?

Thanks.
    Sunday, March 1, 2009 5:01 AM