Server won't reboot with external drives connected RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

this a bit of a wierd one, just wondering if anyone else has experianced it.
    I have a home built WHS with 2 x WD 500GB, 1 x samsung 320gb, 1 x maxtor 260gb internal drives, all these drives work a treat, i also have 1 x seagate 500GB, 1 x 500gb WD, and 1 750GB maxtor external usb drives attached.
    The problem arises when the system reboots either from a update install or a manual restart, if i leave the usb drives connected the system will not boot.
    4 of the internal drives are SATA drives these are connected via 2 seperate PCI sata RAID cards, when i boot with the usb drives connected the bios load detects the first raid card but then stalls and will go no further, if i remove the usb drives it boot all the way into windows, but then i get the drives have been removed error and i have to plug all drives back in and wait until the system reconizes them before i ccan use the server.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Paul
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:39 AM

Answers

• To get your data off, you could always remove the disks completely from the WHS and fit them into one of your clients - either internally, or externally by a USB adapter. All the folders would then be visible in explorer and you wouldn't be worried about corruption caused by the shutdowns.

Colin  

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:35 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, this sounds like it could be a simple hardware incompatibility to me; you're never getting to the point of loading the operating system, so it's nothing to do with WHS itself. If it's just an interrupt problem or something like that, you could try resetting your CMOS to defaults and reconfiguring the BIOS, which should force the PC to reinitialize everything. You could also try just moving the second RAID card to a different PCI slot.
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Have you checked the disk boot order in your machine's BIOS? Be sure that the USB disk is ranked lower than the other disks. I had similar issues when I rebooted with the default BIOS boot order and an external HD attached.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:17 AM
  • have reset the boot order, and actually removed anything except the main main IDE channel, so i really am a bit lost
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 12:42 PM
  • So if I understand correctly, you have physically removed the additional RAID controllers, disconnecting all of the drives that were connected to them and leaving only the system drive as an internal drive? And you still can't boot? Are there any USB drives connected at this point?
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 3:13 PM
  • all raid controllers removed and all usb drives removed and it's boots with no issues, as soon as i plug in any of the usb drives, i can't boot, i can even plug in all the raid controllers in and leave the usb disconnected it will boot, and again as soon as i plug in usb, bang no boot.
    really really odd
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 4:35 PM
  • In your BIOS, you don't have an entry something along the lines of 'enable USB booting' . It could be that the m'board is getting confused by the different booting possibilities.

Colin 

Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:59 PM
  • I'm with Colin on this. Either your motherboard is set to boot from USB first, or all of your USB drives are faulty in the same obscure way.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 11:43 PM
  • I think there is definatly a hardware problem somewhere, seems to have cleared the original problem up all on it own, now it's the little matter of random shutdowns. I think i'm going to do a complete re-build, i have a spare mo-bo from a recent upgrade. now all i got to try and do is get my data off onto the external drives before, i wipe it all, the only problem is it shutdowns before i can remove any of the external drives so i can use them for back up.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:50 AM
  • To get your data off, you could always remove the disks completely from the WHS and fit them into one of your clients - either internally, or externally by a USB adapter. All the folders would then be visible in explorer and you wouldn't be worried about corruption caused by the shutdowns.

Colin  

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:35 PM
  • sorted mobo replaced now all seems well, think it may have been processor overheating, and then shutting down.
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:57 PM