none
ups for whs RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

Sure it is, whs based on windows 2003 server, Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) good idea in any server.

Good idea as well to go with one have power condition as well, and to buy from knowing brand as well.

My best.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:47 PM
  • Yes it can support a UPS and I believe it is a must have for any server. I use the APC BE500U, it is plenty to power the server and the external drives for about 15 minutes (no monitor).  It automatically shuts the server down when the batery gets to a certain percent power. With the high drive activity on a WHS it is near mandatory to use a UPS to avoid data corruption.

When shopping just make sure the UPS is compatible with Windows Server 2003.

Paul

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Hi

I have an walkthrough on my blog about installing a UPS with Windows Home Server...

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/06/17/how-to-install-a-battery-back-up-power-supply-to-your-windows-home-server/

Hope it helps!

Terry

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:10 AM
  • I also installed UPS as described by Terry.  The version of APC Powerchute Personal edition provided with my unit appears to work as a service on WHS and no log on is necessary.

Have had two actual powerline failures. Everything worked as advertised except that the WHS backup service did not start when WHS first booted after the UPS shutdown. Had to reboot each time to start that service.

The UPS apparently also twice adjusted for severe line voltage fluctuations. They were strong enough to make my clocks go bonkers.

The UPS saved the day and was worth every penny.     

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Sure it is, whs based on windows 2003 server, Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) good idea in any server.

Good idea as well to go with one have power condition as well, and to buy from knowing brand as well.

My best.
    Monday, August 20, 2007 11:47 PM
  • Yes it can support a UPS and I believe it is a must have for any server. I use the APC BE500U, it is plenty to power the server and the external drives for about 15 minutes (no monitor).  It automatically shuts the server down when the batery gets to a certain percent power. With the high drive activity on a WHS it is near mandatory to use a UPS to avoid data corruption.

When shopping just make sure the UPS is compatible with Windows Server 2003.

Paul

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:52 AM
  • Hi

I have an walkthrough on my blog about installing a UPS with Windows Home Server...

http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/2007/06/17/how-to-install-a-battery-back-up-power-supply-to-your-windows-home-server/

Hope it helps!

Terry

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 7:10 AM
  • One of the OEM requrements is that the USB ports support UPSs. I'd imagine that UPS manufacturers will be making addins to manage their units from the console.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:08 PM
  • I would love to lay my hands on the OEM documentation that you're looking at, Bezalel. Can you tell me what program(s) it's available through? Thanks!
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 5:38 PM
  •  

I  had serious compatability problems with APC Powerchute Personal edition. I pulled the plug on the UPS to test the shutdown feature, while watching on remote desktop. The normal shutdown warning did not display, and the server went into hibernation instead of shutting down, and then would not resume. I connected a monitor and keyboard (monitor first and then had to cold power off to connect the keyboard) to find that WHS displayed a message that said the OS did not resume from the selected location (something like that) with two choices 1)delete restoration data and go to the boot menu or 2)continue with re-boot. I tried hitting the power button again, and the same message displayed. I selected door #2, and the server did resume (not re-start), but when the server resumed, the keyboard would not work, because it had not been connected when it went into hibernation. I would not recomend Powerchute Personal on WHS.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:28 AM
  • Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone use Powerchute Personal Edition on any PC. Per APC tech support, it is not capable of being configured to hibernate a PC rather than shutting it down, and from personal experience having it installed messes with your power settings and can result in a PC that can't go into hibernation at all.

Fortunately, APC UPSes work just fine with the UPS service that's part of Windows. You don't get some of the advanced information that Powerchute provides, and you can't run a test through Power Options, but it's pretty good with the basics.
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:29 AM
  •  tezzer wrote:

Hi

Hope it helps!

Terry

Bought and installed an UPS like that after reading your blog Terry.

Haven't had any issues so far, and not as described by Ken and dfw.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 8:05 AM
  •  ChristianJohansson wrote:

I was curious, have you tried dis-connecting the UPS from AC power and letting the system go all the way to shut down? Just wanting to know if you have tried, not recomending that you do.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:30 PM
  •  dfw wrote:
     ChristianJohansson wrote:

I was curious, have you tried dis-connecting the UPS from AC power and letting the system go all the way to shut down? Just wanting to know if you have tried, not recomending that you do.

No, I haven't.

But if there is an issue with this UPS not handling shutdown properly (with the supplied software), maybe I should.

Otherwise, how can I be sure that it works as intended?

I'll have a look at it this, in the evening.

Weather Forecast predicts thunder and lightning in these parts of the world later on, so Moder Nature may assist me in the trials...

Thursday, August 23, 2007 10:10 AM
  • I also installed UPS as described by Terry.  The version of APC Powerchute Personal edition provided with my unit appears to work as a service on WHS and no log on is necessary.

Have had two actual powerline failures. Everything worked as advertised except that the WHS backup service did not start when WHS first booted after the UPS shutdown. Had to reboot each time to start that service.

The UPS apparently also twice adjusted for severe line voltage fluctuations. They were strong enough to make my clocks go bonkers.

The UPS saved the day and was worth every penny.     

Thursday, August 23, 2007 12:06 PM
  • I installed the APC Powerchute Personal edition on my WHS and noticed that when you install this software the "hibernation" option is enabled for UPS in the power options of control panel.  If the APC unit detects a power failure with hibernation enabled, the APC software will send the server to hibernation.  If you uncheck (disable) this option, the APC software does a shutdown on the server and all is fine.  Just my observations.  Seems to be working great without hibernation enabled plus I get the benefit of seeing the parameters/configuration that the APC software offers.

David

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Are any UPSs able to automatically restart the computer after power has been restored?

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Had a new experience with the ups.  Started getting WHS system drive errors. Another post steered me to a solution. The UPS had several levels of sensitivity to power fluxuation.  After reducing the sensitivity by one level, the problems went away. Thank you "Progress Energy" power. It was not a problem with WHS or the UPS, it is the source of power.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:19 PM
  • Terry, this walkthrough is VERY helpful to a semi-UPS novice like myself. That is the exact power supply I bought. I haven't hooked it up yet because my WHS doesn't have a CD or DVD drive (HP MediaSmart). Do you know how to install PowerChute from another computer? If I just copy the entire CD to WHS and then run it from there will that work or is there some type of copy protection such that the CD is required? Thanks
    Monday, January 14, 2008 1:55 AM
  • I pulled the plug on my UPS to test the server through shutdown.  Works perfectly with the basic UPS support included in WHS.  All you need to do is make sure it is set to shut down and not standby, and pick the battery level to initiate shutdown.  I set it to shut down at 50% battery power, so there was no chance of running out of power before WHS did it's thing.  Very slick.  Works just like power mgmt on a laptop computer.  I have an APC UPS linked with a USB cable.  It's a pretty old model, too.  I landed myself an APC SUA1000 on ebay last night for $71 delivered, and it has a year left on the warranty.  The SmartUPS's have both USB and serial options, and might be the way to go if an add-in gets created to manage the UPS. 

Thursday, April 3, 2008 12:37 PM