none
MCSA to MCITP: Server Administrator or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator RRS feed

• Question

• I currently am MCSA, and studying for the MCITP.  I'll be sitting the exam in about 2 weeks.

I'm thinking ahead to what I will do next; either the MCITP Server or Enterprise administrator.

Am I understanding this correctly; once I pass 70-648 I only need 70-646 for the server admin.  But if I go for the enterprise admin after the 70-648 I will need 643, 647 and 1 elective?

It's a tough call because if I go for the server admin first, I'll end up having to take an additional test to reach enterprise admin after that.  Versus going straight for the enterprise admin.

This is a more *theoretical* question, versus fact based: I, as I'm sure other IT professionals, have not faired well over the last 3 years during these "tough economic times".  In addition to the MCSA I was at one time MCSE in NT (plus the MCSA), and just as importantly, if not more, I had job responsibilities where I utilized what I learned with those certifications.  Since '07 I have been under-employed.  I no longer have on my resume recent job experience that a MCSE or MCSA would typically have.  I am an admin on a MUCH smaller network.

I'm currently employed, but I need to find a better job in IT asap.  Would it be worth my trouble to go for the MCITP Enterprise admin now, or save time and get the Server admin cert?  My concern is, I am going to, or already have, fallen into that category of being "paper" certified.... i.e. my certs don't match my experience.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 8:39 PM

Answers