Why did converting to a dynamic disk kill my server? RRS feed

• Question

• I thought that it might be a good idea to change the primary drive in our Acer H340 to a dynamic disk and then on the new drive I was going to put in I was going to mirror the C: so that there would be failover if the primary drive failed.. not so.

Standard process followed in disk manager to upgrade to dynamic disks worked fine according to windows (I upgraded all three of the drives in there while I was in the disk administrator) but after reboot the server has critical errors in home server console and it has the main data partition from HDD0 showing up as "Not Added".  The system can not start the back up service and every single share is listed as "There are File Conflicts".

When I go to the "Server Storage" tab in home server administration the right side keeps scrolling through "Calculating sizes..." and there is no option to do anything with the WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 931.51GB drive that has the little windows logo on it at the top.  It shows as "Not Added" but when clicked on "Add", "Repair" and "Remove" are all greyed out.

What's my out from this situation?
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:24 PM

All replies

• Dynamic disks are not supported in Windows Home Server. This is different from the usual answer of "unsupported scenario", in that they are known to cause issues such as you are seeing.

Per this Microsoft KnowledgeBase article, you should try performing a server recovery, following the procedures outlined in your user manual. If that doesn't work, and it very well may not, then follow the instructions in this FAQ to recover your data, and then perform a factory reset.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:26 PM how to recover if reinstallation doesn't work...
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:23 PM