Unable to input OEM data to WHS Image RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi All,

I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction to a problem I am encountering.

I am trying to prepare a master image of WHS for mass deployment but I am having a problem entering the OEM information such as contact & support details as described in the WHS OPK docs.

I have installed as usual but when I get to this point as described in the OPK doc......

Contact Product Support Link

Under the terms of the licensing agreement, OEMs are responsible for providing post-sale technical support to customers. To enable this, you must provide contact information for technical support.

The contact information must contain information that includes, but is not limited to, manufacturer name, hours of technical support availability, and telephone numbers that customers can use to reach technical support. This information must be provided in the operating-system languages that are available to the end user.

OEMs accomplish this by providing a URL to their product-support Web site. This URL opens when the user clicks the Contact Product Support link that is depicted here:

To do this, provide the complete URL for their product support Web site in the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\OEM

String Value: SupportLink

Data: <OEM Product Support URL> (example: http://support.contoso.com)

According to the registry there doesnt seem to be an OEM folder to edit the strings.
    After hunting through this forum and a good old googling I heard it may be something to do with SMbios info, so as it is an Intel Board I downloaded the Intel ITK and entered info into SMBIOS and reflashed bios but still no joy.

Will I have to resoftware or am I going about it in totally the wrong way?
    I was basically following the OPK documentation for systembuilders.

Any ideas would be great!

Many thanks.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:07 AM

All replies

• If the folder doesn't exist, then you need to create it.
    I'm fairly certain that the OPK documents state this -somewhere- but, I'm not 100% sure (been a while since I've read that tome.)  I do know that various how-tos out on the web (notably, those for doing this in Vista) do say that "you may have to create the key."

HTH,
    Chris
    [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 1:13 AM
  • Chris is correct, in order to specify set the value you may have to create the OEM key and value of the specified names.

As for setting the strings… there is similar registry key to specify the system manufacturer or model, instead those are pulled straight out of the Win32_ComputerSystem WMI provider which in turn is populated by SMBIOS.

I cannot give specific advice on how to set the SMBIOS info on the hardware you are working with, however rather than re-launching the console every time to test, you might find it faster to use msinfo32 (which is built into Windows) to view some of the info about the system that Windows is seeing.
    Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:11 PM