cannot remove PC from OneCare circle RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to remove a PC from my OneCare circle, it fails with no explanation. If I look at the log, I see this:

Provisioning call to remove machine {GUID} failed with hr 8A120194

Does anybody know what that HRESULT means?

Saturday, July 14, 2007 11:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Brant, Stephen,

I work in the OneCare development team.

Thank you for trying out the Beta, and reporting this failure.  We investigated this further and discovered an issue on the OneCare v2.0 Beta servers that was causing remove PC functionality to fail intermittently.  We think we've now fixed it--could you, please, retry the remove action, and let me know if it works?

Note that removing a PC will cause OneCare on the PC being removed to go to an expired/unactivated state, since it is no longer part of an active subscription. 

Thanks

Guhan

Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:11 AM

All replies

• I don't have a clue, but thanks for reporting it - I'll pass it on.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Hi Brant, Stephen,

I work in the OneCare development team.

Thank you for trying out the Beta, and reporting this failure.  We investigated this further and discovered an issue on the OneCare v2.0 Beta servers that was causing remove PC functionality to fail intermittently.  We think we've now fixed it--could you, please, retry the remove action, and let me know if it works?

Note that removing a PC will cause OneCare on the PC being removed to go to an expired/unactivated state, since it is no longer part of an active subscription. 

Thanks

Guhan

Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:11 AM
  • I was able to remove the computer from the OneCare circle.
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 11:17 AM
  •  Guhan [Microsoft] wrote:

Guhan, could you clarify this statement? If I have two PCs on OneCare and both copies are activated, with one being a hub and the other being monitored by the hub, are you saying that if I remove the "remote" PC from the monitor list, so that the hub is "alone" in multi-pc management, the remote PC will no longer be activated?

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:15 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Correct.  Your OneCare circle includes all of the computers in your subscription.  When you remove a PC from your circle, you're also removing it from your subscription--so the remote PC will no longer be part of any valid subscription (i.e., become "unactivated").   The intent is to allow you to easily add as well as remove the active computers in your subscription, given the three-PC license limit.

Note that in this case, the Hub PC will continue to be in Hub PC mode as you mention, but since the remote PC is no longer part of the circle, that remote PC will not show up in the Hub PC view. 

Also, there will be a red message on the remote PC ("Your OneCare machine was removed from your paid subscription"), that will allow you to Activate it again in this case.  If needed, you can Activate it from there to add it back to your existing subscription and circle (at which point it'll soon return back in the hub PC view as well, as if it were never removed). 

Hope this clarifies--please let me know if not!  Also please let us know if you observe any different behaviour.

Thanks.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 5:48 PM
  • That does clarify things, Guhan. It's a dangerous option given the fixed limit of activations possible on a subscription. If one removes a PC and then activates again too many times, we're looking at a support case. I trust that there will be a warning when I select remove?

-steve

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:58 AM
  • Hi Steve,

We do display a warning on the hub PC when you try to remove a remote PC.

Note that the limit you mention actually has to do with the total number of PC's that you can simultaneously have in the paid subscription--there is no limit that I'm aware of on the number of times you can actually activate on a paid subscription (as long as you remove computers as well, such that the total number of computers in your subscription stays under the limit). 

Of course, prior to v2.0, removing a PC from a subscription wasn't as easy as it is now, so repeated activations likely triggered the "total number of PC's" limit that you mention.  But now, as long as the total count stays within the limit, you can activate/remove as many times as needed.

Thanks. 

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:04 AM
  • If the activation frequency or limit is not applicable in 2.0, then this is great. Thanks! In 1.x we've seen quite a few people hit the limit that seems to be around 2 dozen activations. At that point all attempts at a valid activation fail with "too many activations." Even if this is the only PC ever activated. It seemed to us that the PC Name or other identifying data was not being looked at during the activation check.

If activation now checks the number of PCs on a subscription, and there is a delay in having one go "inactive" if it wasn't removed through the hub feature, then I expect we're going to see a bunch of people posting about not being able to activate due to a reported too many PCs issue.

-steve

Thursday, July 19, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I tried to remove a PC from my OneCare circle because when shut down, it was causing a Red OneCare logo and prompt. Now that I removed it, I am now having trouble adding it again.

1) Is it possible or planned to make a shut down computer not cause a OneCare alert/red logo

2) Is it possible to readd a computer to the OneCare circle without having to do that "Step 2: sign in" process?

I think #2 is by design though so I guess it's not really a problem.

Friday, July 20, 2007 1:03 AM
  • Hi, JasonPC. I have one PC being monitored by a hub in my "circle." The monitored PC is only turned on for a short time each day and I don't have the red condition, so that sounds like a problem in your case. When it went red, what is the reason for it appearing at risk?

-steve

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:36 PM
  • Hmm maybe it was a fluke because now that I readded it, the icon doesn't turn red when the computer is turned off.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Keep an eye on it, as at least one other person reported the same situation. Thanks for reporting that adding it back resolved it.

-steve

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:18 AM
  • Hi JasonPC,

Do you happen to remember the reason it stated in the hub PC view, for the remote PC (and thus the circle) being reported as being red?

Thanks.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:30 AM
  • I should have written it down. I think it said something about virus monitoring being off, but I am not sure. If it happens again, I'll make sure to write down what it said the cause is.
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:17 AM
  •  

Thanks--yes, please let us know if it happens again.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 4:49 AM
  • I have also a problem removing a pc from my onecare circle. Problem is that the same pc is displaying twice in my circle. One with a red status and the other one with the green status (which is the correct one). How can I remove the "wrong" pc from my OneCare Circle (I see 4 pc's and the subscription only allows 3 anyway).

Thursday, October 30, 2008 12:33 AM
  • Open OneCare on the Hub PC. Click on Your oneCare Circle. A list of your Circle PCs appears. To the right of each entry is "details" and below each PC is a link to remove the PC from the subscription.

If it fails to work, producing an error,please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, October 30, 2008 5:56 PM
  • I have two new pc's that I tried to ad to my circle. One old one I deleted, and another the computer died. Both I have tried to ad and all I get is the 30 day free trial. How can I hook them up ? Also my e-mail is locked up because it says I tried too many times with the wrong pword. Any help would be great.

JAW

Friday, October 31, 2008 2:51 PM
  •  j alkan wrote:

I have two new pc's that I tried to ad to my circle. One old one I deleted, and another the computer died. Both I have tried to ad and all I get is the 30 day free trial. How can I hook them up ? Also my e-mail is locked up because it says I tried too many times with the wrong pword. Any help would be great.

JAW

If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

On the first PC, open OneCare and click Help and then About to see your Subscription ID. That is the LiveID to sign in with.

If you know the LiveID, but the password is unknown to you, reset the password via http;//account.live.com or contact support.

If you don't have access to the first PC or do not recall the LiveID you used for your subscription, you will need to contact support who can provide that information to you using your Key and/or contact information.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Alternatively, sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com with email addresses that you have set up as LiveIDs and one will show your subscription listed - that would the LiveID to use to activate with.

If the activation dialog already contains a LiveID from a prior attempt or one used in trial mode, but this is not the one you need to activate with to associate it with your subscription, see this post for how to reset this - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

For more information see Instant Help - http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us&querytype=topic&query=OneCare_PROC_FindLiveIDHelp.htm

-steve

Friday, October 31, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Those links were missing, but I just had to click on "stop using this pc as a hub", restart the pc and then click again on "use this pc as a hub" and those links appeared. So I could remove the "wrong" one.

Thanks for the quick answer ...

Saturday, November 1, 2008 3:06 PM
  • Guhan,
    I just got a new computer because my old one was fried.  I didn't think to remove the old one from my OneCare circle before dismantling it and replacing it with my new computer.  Now both the old and new are showing in my circle.  The old one says the firewall isn't turned on!  I tried to remove it from my circle after the fact and I can't.  I get a message saying the action could not be performed and an error is preventing OneCare from performing this action.  It's telling me to restart my computer and try again.  I did and I still can't!  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Loren
    Monday, November 24, 2008 2:13 AM
  • This could be a temporary problem with communication to the OneCare back end servers, but if it persists, please contact support.

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 5:50 PM
  •  WebMom wrote:
    Guhan,
    I just got a new computer because my old one was fried.  I didn't think to remove the old one from my OneCare circle before dismantling it and replacing it with my new computer.  Now both the old and new are showing in my circle.  The old one says the firewall isn't turned on!  I tried to remove it from my circle after the fact and I can't.  I get a message saying the action could not be performed and an error is preventing OneCare from performing this action.  It's telling me to restart my computer and try again.  I did and I still can't!  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Loren

After posting this cry for help I was miraculously able to remove the old computer!  The power of posting I suppose!  Thanks for your help!

Loren
    Monday, November 24, 2008 6:40 PM
  • I'm glad to read that you resolved it. I suspect that it was a temporary LiveID/Server issue, though I like your idea that it was fixed because you posted to the forum. :-)

-steve

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:53 PM