View "Related Regarding Records" as opposed to This Record only RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone point to the *official Microsoft documentation* on how these differ, in particular i would like to review the documentation on how RElated Regarding works in the associated view when viewing Order records on an Account.

We are seeing an Order turn up on another Account that we do not expect to see it, and there is no obvious link through a contact.

I would like to know the exact specification of what causes Order records to appear on an Account in the Associated View, when Related Regarding is selected

Thanks!

Thanks! Josh

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 6:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Josh,

Do not have a link as such to any documentation but my understanding is that the related records lists all records that are directly or indirectly related to the record.

It basically does a rollup n levels down. So if u have an order that is related to an account or contact that is probably a sub-account or contact n levels down, it would still show up when related records is selected.

HTH

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by Josh Ashwood Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Although this blog post is about activity rollup, I believe the behavior is identical also with other views with the "related regarding records" filter option:

http://niiranen.eu/crm/2011/06/crm-2011-subgrids-aint-what-associated-views-used-to-be/

In short, the records should roll up only directly from the hierarchy of accounts marked as the customer on a sales record like order, not across other record types. For example, if Child Account B is marked as the customer on an order, it will show up when looking at orders from Parent Account A. However, if the customer of the order is changed to Contact C who's under Child Account B, the rollup no longer takes place.

Depending on how your CRM has been customized, it may be possible that the fields for the parent/sub account hierarchy would have been renamed on the account form. Check for any possible self-referential relationships on the account entity that might be causing the records in question to be seen as an account hierarchy.

Jukka Niiranen - My blog: Surviving CRM - Follow @jukkan on Twitter

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Josh,

Do not have a link as such to any documentation but my understanding is that the related records lists all records that are directly or indirectly related to the record.

It basically does a rollup n levels down. So if u have an order that is related to an account or contact that is probably a sub-account or contact n levels down, it would still show up when related records is selected.

HTH

Sam

Dynamics CRM MVP | Inogic | http://inogic.blogspot.com| news at inogic dot com

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Although this blog post is about activity rollup, I believe the behavior is identical also with other views with the "related regarding records" filter option:

http://niiranen.eu/crm/2011/06/crm-2011-subgrids-aint-what-associated-views-used-to-be/

In short, the records should roll up only directly from the hierarchy of accounts marked as the customer on a sales record like order, not across other record types. For example, if Child Account B is marked as the customer on an order, it will show up when looking at orders from Parent Account A. However, if the customer of the order is changed to Contact C who's under Child Account B, the rollup no longer takes place.

Depending on how your CRM has been customized, it may be possible that the fields for the parent/sub account hierarchy would have been renamed on the account form. Check for any possible self-referential relationships on the account entity that might be causing the records in question to be seen as an account hierarchy.

Jukka Niiranen - My blog: Surviving CRM - Follow @jukkan on Twitter

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:02 AM
  • Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Thanks! Josh

Wednesday, May 1, 2013 8:22 AM