Server kept switching itself *ON* !!! RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS, all was fine.  Switched it off (via Shut Down option), or so I thought.  Hour later machine was on, switched it off...  Was walking around near it, it switched itself on again! And so on...

Finally I went into the motherboard BIOS and disabled the "Wake from PCI" function.  That seems to have cured it but I just wondered...  Why?

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 4:56 PM

Answers

• (Moved to hardware forum)

You were experiencing some of the pain associated with "Wake on LAN".

Your NIC is a PCI device. "Wake From PCI" means that your computer will wake if there's any activity on the PCI bus, and any network traffic will generate that activity.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 6:44 PM
  • Thanks guys, I agree it was probably "Wake on Lan" but the weird thing is I've run the same hardware for over a year with XP and never had that happen before...
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:06 AM

All replies

• (Moved to hardware forum)

You were experiencing some of the pain associated with "Wake on LAN".

Your NIC is a PCI device. "Wake From PCI" means that your computer will wake if there's any activity on the PCI bus, and any network traffic will generate that activity.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 6:44 PM
  • It was NOT WHS.

Wake  - lan, ring (modem), pci

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Thanks guys, I agree it was probably "Wake on Lan" but the weird thing is I've run the same hardware for over a year with XP and never had that happen before...
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 11:06 AM
  • It'll be the client connector software trying to check in with the server, I'll bet.  That said, I've seen boxes wake up for no good reason just because they encountered a DHCP request or other such random broadcast...

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:26 PM