What components do I need for Windows 7 home server 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm ready to build a purpose built computer for Windows 7 Home Server 2011 and I would like suggestions. I want the server to wirelessly connect to my 4 home computers and back them all up. I have a case with slots for 7  2TB HDDs. Should I use raid 5  which should give me capacity of 10TB plus backup or would you suggest JBOD with 14TB capacity but no abolity to rebuild when there is a HDD failure? How powerful a processor do I need, is Intel core duo LGA 1155 adequate or would I be better going with LGA 1366 quad core i7 Intel processor. How much RAM do you suggest?

hayhurst2

Friday, March 8, 2013 9:50 PM

Answers

• Windows7 Home Server 2011 - what do you mean by that statement? The first backup of a Client shoud be wired as it will take forever if not - subsequent backups can be wireless. Not a believer in RAID particularly with WHS which can only back up 2TB so no comment. RAID is not a substitute for a proper backup strategy!

Processor - depends hat you want your server to do. Read this if you want to transcode video:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/video-processors-2.aspx

RAM: 4GB is adequate for most things but as it's cheap I would use 8GB

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Friday, March 8, 2013 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, March 15, 2013 9:15 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Start with System Requirements.

Your home computers can use wireless or wired networking, but as Phil has mentioned you should use a wired connection for your initial backup of each home computer, and if you need to restore more than a couple of files.

Storage management: Let Windows Home Server manage your hard drives. Don't use RAID/JBOD.

Data protection: RAID is a "high availability" solution, not intended for data protection. You will need to come up with a backup strategy for good data protection. If you anticipate needing 10+ TB of sotrage on your server, you will probably need approximately twice that for a robust backup solution. You will also need a tool other than the built-in server backup tools, as those are quite limited for extremely large data sets.

Philhas given you good advice regarding processor and memory requirement. Either processor you mention should be more than adequate for basic functionality, but if you need your server to stream and transcode HD video on the fly, the more processor you provide, the better. Regarding memory: don't buy more than 8 GB, as that is the maximum your server will use.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, March 15, 2013 9:16 AM
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 2:02 AM

All replies

• Windows7 Home Server 2011 - what do you mean by that statement? The first backup of a Client shoud be wired as it will take forever if not - subsequent backups can be wireless. Not a believer in RAID particularly with WHS which can only back up 2TB so no comment. RAID is not a substitute for a proper backup strategy!

Processor - depends hat you want your server to do. Read this if you want to transcode video:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/video-processors-2.aspx

RAM: 4GB is adequate for most things but as it's cheap I would use 8GB

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Edited by Phil Harrison Friday, March 8, 2013 10:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, March 15, 2013 9:15 AM
    Friday, March 8, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Start with System Requirements.

Your home computers can use wireless or wired networking, but as Phil has mentioned you should use a wired connection for your initial backup of each home computer, and if you need to restore more than a couple of files.

Storage management: Let Windows Home Server manage your hard drives. Don't use RAID/JBOD.

Data protection: RAID is a "high availability" solution, not intended for data protection. You will need to come up with a backup strategy for good data protection. If you anticipate needing 10+ TB of sotrage on your server, you will probably need approximately twice that for a robust backup solution. You will also need a tool other than the built-in server backup tools, as those are quite limited for extremely large data sets.

Philhas given you good advice regarding processor and memory requirement. Either processor you mention should be more than adequate for basic functionality, but if you need your server to stream and transcode HD video on the fly, the more processor you provide, the better. Regarding memory: don't buy more than 8 GB, as that is the maximum your server will use.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Friday, March 15, 2013 9:16 AM
    Saturday, March 9, 2013 2:02 AM