none
Problem with marking response as helpful RRS feed

• Question

• Naomi,

Thanks.

This is my first working with a forum like this; or of any kind for that matter.

I see each "boxed reply" contains a "Vote As Helpful", "Mark As Answer", etc.  How does it work?  Do I re-read each box and ask myself if this helped.  If I think it did, do I then click on the "Vote As Helpful" box.  Will I be asked to give a numerical rating between 0 and 10 (or some max number) as how helpful it was to get to the final answer?  If I select the "Mark As Answer", does this trigger a Close-and-lockout-any-further-forum correspondence?

• Edited by ROB_2012 Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:40 AM
    • Split by Naomi NModerator Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:34 PM Not relevant to original topic
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 11:34 PM

Answers

• I see each "boxed reply" contains a "Vote As Helpful", "Mark As Answer", etc.  How does it work?  Do I re-read each box and ask myself if this helped. 

yes

• If I think it did, do I then click on the "Vote As Helpful" box. 

yes

• Will I be asked to give a numerical rating between 0 and 10 (or some max number) as how helpful it was to get to the final answer? 

No

•  If I select the "Mark As Answer", does this tricker a Close-and-lockout-any-further-forum correspondence?

No, you are just helping when someone else face the same proble he knows the correct steps for solution.

please check-out http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/8487b12a-f270-42b8-b772-38def2d62a77

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by ROB_2012 Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:26 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:02 AM

All replies

• I see each "boxed reply" contains a "Vote As Helpful", "Mark As Answer", etc.  How does it work?  Do I re-read each box and ask myself if this helped. 

yes

• If I think it did, do I then click on the "Vote As Helpful" box. 

yes

• Will I be asked to give a numerical rating between 0 and 10 (or some max number) as how helpful it was to get to the final answer? 

No

•  If I select the "Mark As Answer", does this tricker a Close-and-lockout-any-further-forum correspondence?

No, you are just helping when someone else face the same proble he knows the correct steps for solution.

please check-out http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/8487b12a-f270-42b8-b772-38def2d62a77

Regards,
    Ahmed Ibrahim
    SQL Server Setup Team
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you.
    This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by ROB_2012 Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:26 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Ok, this isn't working as expected.

I selected "Vote As Helpful" to one of Naomi's "Boxed Reply".  Then selected "Vote As Helpful" to one of Ahmed's "Boxed Reply".  As I continued through the "Boxed Replies", I selected one of the links provided to see if I could understand its meaning from what I'd learn in this endevor.  When I came back, all my previous selections were back to zero.  Does this mean that you can only select "Vote As Helpful" to each individual only once even if they helped many times?

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:26 AM
  • You can vote every post as helpful but only once. Simply click on the Vote as Helpful link and you'll see 1 vote will be added. You can do also the same for Answer mark - just click on Mark as Answer and the post will be marked.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:48 AM
  • You can vote as helpful for every reply in the thread but only once per reply. If your votes went down to 0, then you hit rare forum's bug. I know this situation happens sometimes but hard to reproduce.

My blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012 1:50 AM
  • I've reproduced the error over and over again.

(1)  Select several "Vote As Helpful" command buttons.

(2)  Go to any link given on this page.

(3)  Return to this page. 

(4)  All selections from (1) to "Vote As Helpful" are now back to zero.

(5)  Press F5 for refresh and the "1s" return.

(6)  Repeat 1 - 5

The fix would be to trigger a Refresh whenever this page becomes Active.

• Edited by ROB_2012 Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:35 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I am not exactly sure how you're doing it. Say, I open a thread in a window. When I see a helpful reply, I click on the Vote button and immediately see my vote added. I can not click on that same button again. I then go to the next message and click.

Are you viewing all answers in the Web based interface? And all answers together?

BTW, I moved this branch of the thread to a different forum as it doesn't seem to be related to the original problem.

My blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:40 PM
  • Naomi,

Good call about the branch move.

As far as the repeatable steps above, put yourself in the place of the person asking the original question and getting all the Replies.  Say you DON'T MARK ANYTHING until you have gotten the final answer.  Then you go back through all the Replies and make your MARKS; "Vote As Helpful" and/or "Mark As Answer".  (As I did.)

Say you mark the first Reply as Helpful.  Then say you go to the second Reply and see a link was included in the Reply.  So you go to the link to see if it was indeed Helpful.  After reading the link you select the Return Arrow to return the original forum page.  IT IS AT THIS POINT THE "1" YOU MADE FOR THE FIRST REPLAY IS BACK TO "0".  If you press F5 the "1" comes back.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:23 PM
  • I understand your point. The vote did make it indeed, but you're seeing the cached copy of the page before you went to the link and voted. This is not uncommon problem in this forum. Say, I'm working in some forum and see my points went up. Couple of minutes later they are down back again. It usually means that I'm seeing an older copy (or cached copy) and this change is not reflected there.

So, I'd say this is a minor problem, but not too critical, and from the performance point of view the cached version of the page is better.

BTW, also, instead of opening the link in the same window, you can instead right click (or Shitf+Click) and open it in a new window or tab.

My blog

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:36 PM
  • Your right.

My main point was the ability to reproduce the error.

Also, thanks for the right click (or Shift+Click) note.  I'll have to try that.

ROB

• Edited by ROB_2012 Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:24 PM
    Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:21 PM