none
How do I find SymbolMap.csv after using Gaier MSMoneyQuotes with -m? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having difficulty in using the latest (ver 2.3) MSMoneyQuotes.exe file in order to resolve miss placed decimal points when updating stocks. I successfully used the previous versions before MSN/Morningstar introduced the problem.

I run the file as MSMoneyQuotes -m.exe expecting it to produce a file called SymbolMap.csv to which I should add a column etc. The file runs but after searching my hard disk I find that no .csv file is produced.

My lack of fundamental computer knowledge is of course letting me down here as all of you seem to have had complete success.  I would be very grateful if someone would kindly help by explaining the procedure I should follow in simple terms.

Many thanks

Saturday, February 3, 2018 10:56 PM

All replies

• One way to find a file using any version of windows is to open a command window. Into that window, enter

dir \SymbolMap.csv /s

Note the two different slash characters. It will take a while, but will eventually tell you where it finds SymbolMap.csv

Sunday, February 4, 2018 12:58 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I know how to search for the Symbolmap.csv file.  The problem for me is that Dan's 'help' information states that running the MSMoneyQuotes.exe file with -m WILL PRODUCE the Symbolmap.csv file.  When I run it on my machine it doesn't.

I am running the file in the form: MSMoneyQuotes -m.exe  is this the correct syntax or should I be doing something completely different to produce Symbolmap.csv? 

• Proposed as answer by nicole 78 Friday, June 5, 2020 3:03 PM
    Sunday, February 4, 2018 2:50 AM
  • Try it with Money open, so that it will know what symbols it should be trying to access.

If you then say that you had Money open, then I would ask if you really did the dir command in a command window as I suggested, or whether you used the method of finding files that you are used to.

Also, it must be Money 2005 or later.

Sunday, February 4, 2018 5:30 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I know how to search for the Symbolmap.csv file.  The problem for me is that Dan's 'help' information states that running the MSMoneyQuotes.exe file with -m WILL PRODUCE the Symbolmap.csv file.  When I run it on my machine it doesn't.

I am running the file in the form: MSMoneyQuotes -m.exe  is this the correct syntax or should I be doing something completely different to produce Symbolmap.csv? 

It looks like you are entering it in a slightly incorrect form,   the "-m" should be at the end

try :

MSMoneyQuotes.exe -m

Sunday, February 4, 2018 10:04 AM
  • It looks like you are entering it in a slightly incorrect form,   the "-m" should be at the end

I don't see how I missed that. Good call.
    Sunday, February 4, 2018 1:17 PM
  • I did use the  command dir \SymbolMap.CSV /s to search for the SymbolMap but searching isn't the problem.  The MSMoneyQuotes.exe file isn't producing Symbolmap.csv.

I would thank S Mclean for correctly explaining that -m should be placed at the end of the file. 

Unfortunately, when I change the file to MSMoneyQuotes.exe -m   the 'M' icon at the start of the file changes to a blank rectangle and the file refuses to run as an executable. When it is 'run' a window opens asking what program do I want to 'open' it (I did put a 'space' in front of -m).  

Any further ideas please?

Thank you both for your help.

• Proposed as answer by ایکیا Sunday, March 4, 2018 3:22 PM
    Sunday, February 4, 2018 6:46 PM
  • Can you open a command window?

Where is MSMoneyQuotes.exe

Sunday, February 4, 2018 7:04 PM
  • MSMoneyQuotes.exe is in C:\Program files (x86)\Money Quotes.

I have run the file both with a path to it in the command window (cmd) and clicking on it in the folder.  It runs fine and updates Money with the decimal point errors.  It just won't run by either method with the -m switch.

I was wondering if this thread could be merged with the main 'update problem thread' to see whether others have experienced and overcome this issue?

I am running Money on a Win 10 Laptop and an older XP machine. Both run Money well but neither will run MSMoneyQuotes.exe  with -m switch.

Sunday, February 4, 2018 7:54 PM
  • Try copy and pasting the 4 bold lines inside the equal signs lines into a file named mq1.bat

============begin mq1.bat=================
    cd  %USERPROFILE%\documents
    "C:\Program files (x86)\Money Quotes\MSMoneyQuotes.exe" -m
    dir Symbolmap.csv
    pause
    ================end mq1.bat=================

Use a simple text editor to create mq1.bat. In particular, do not use a word processor, such as Word. Include the quotes as shown.

Then run mq1.bat

Sunday, February 4, 2018 10:50 PM
  • I have finally figured out how to produce the SymbolMap.csv file.

I typed the following into the command window:

(Path) MSMoneyQuotes.exe / -m

It then produced a SymbolMap.csv file with all the symbols taken from my Money save file.

No doubt the above syntax is very obvious to anyone with some formal computer training but there must be scores of retired people like me struggling to make it work.  Perhaps Dan Gaier may consider adding a simple line or two to his help file.

I am now going to try to configure the Symbolmap file to make the quotes update properly..........even if it does make me several million pounds poorer!! 

Sunday, February 4, 2018 11:41 PM
  • Just seen your post describing the bat file.

Will try it tomorrow.

Much appreciated.

• Proposed as answer by ایکیا Sunday, March 4, 2018 3:22 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 12:31 AM