Mapping custom fields with Connector for Microsoft Dynamics (NAV-CRM) RRS feed

• Question

• Connector won't display my custom attributes while mapping source fields between CRM and NAV.

I've created a a custom field (string) to Account in CRM 2011. I also created a custom attribute (text) to Customer Card in NAV. Then I restarted NAV Server service and CRM's services (2 x asynchronous services).

After that, I try to create a new map in Connector. But, I can't see my newly created custom field in Connector. Why is that? What should I do to make this happen?

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:14 AM

Answers

• Maybe one of these will help

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42398&view=previous

Customized Entity Mapping
    In most cases, you must customize the default mappings that are included with the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics to reflect how you use Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Microsoft Dynamics CRM. For example, if your entities include fields that are country/region-specific, then these fields are not included with the standard mappings. You must customize the mappings to account for these fields.

In another example, you may have a customized field in your Microsoft Dynamics CRM solution for which you want to provide synchronization. You must add this field to the relevant RoleTailored client page that is exposed as a web service. For example, if you want to have a CRM reference number on the Customer entity, then you must add the reference number field to the Customer Card page. The Connector for Microsoft Dynamics becomes aware of the field during configuration, and the field is exposed in the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics. You can then map it.

To add a custom field to standard entity maps

1. In Microsoft Dynamics NAV, in Object Designer, open the page that has been exposed as a web service in design mode.

2. Add the field to the page, and then recompile the page.

You may also want to provide an integration map for a custom entity. In this case, you must modify the IsIntegrationRecord function in the Integration Management codeunit to ensure that the OnDatabase<x> triggers are executed on the corresponding page or table. In this way, you can create integration records. You must also add the page as an integration web service. When you run the configuration tool in the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics, the fields are exposed to the Connector. You then create a map of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV fields to the equivalent Microsoft Dynamics CRM fields.

Regards, Donna

• Marked as answer by Sanxioon Friday, April 29, 2011 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:38 PM
  • In order to surface your custom attributes and entities in the Connector's mapping interface, you'll need to run the Configuration Utilities for both NAV and CRM which are available from those adapter's settings in the Connector's interface.

When you run the CRM configuration utility you'll need to provide the deployment adaministrator's credentials and click next, then you will be presented with a list of all of the customizable entities in the the selected CRM organization.  You'll want to check the check boxes for your custom entities as well as for the entities that you have added customizations to.  Then select the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog, which will cuase the utility to skip the full configuration and only generate what is needed for the selected entities.

The process is simialar when running the NAV configuration utility.

After you have generated the configuration for both systems, you'll want to deactive all maps, save them, and shutdown the service.  Then close and re-open the Connector.  Now you should be able to map your custom attributes on the existing map and you should also be able to create new maps for your custom entities.

The process for running the utilities is outlined in the User's Guide, and it is strongly recomeneded that you read this guide before and during your initial integration.

For more information on the Connector you can reference the team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dynamicsconnector/

• Proposed as answer by thehetz Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:22 PM

All replies

• Connector won't display my custom attributes while mapping source fields between CRM and NAV.

I've created a a custom field (string) to Account in CRM 2011. I also created a custom attribute (text) to Customer Card in NAV. Then I restarted NAV Server service and CRM's services (2 x asynchronous services).

After that, I try to create a new map in Connector. But, I can't see my newly created custom field in Connector. Why is that? What should I do to make this happen?

Anyone?

Well, could anyone at least confirm that Dynamics Connector supports custom entities and custom fields and not just built-in entities and fields?

Friday, April 8, 2011 10:10 AM
  • I think the challenge might have is that not many have deployed the connector. I am moving this to deployment and bumping to see if you can obtain a response.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:05 PM
  • Maybe one of these will help

http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42398&view=previous

Customized Entity Mapping
    In most cases, you must customize the default mappings that are included with the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics to reflect how you use Microsoft Dynamics NAV and Microsoft Dynamics CRM. For example, if your entities include fields that are country/region-specific, then these fields are not included with the standard mappings. You must customize the mappings to account for these fields.

In another example, you may have a customized field in your Microsoft Dynamics CRM solution for which you want to provide synchronization. You must add this field to the relevant RoleTailored client page that is exposed as a web service. For example, if you want to have a CRM reference number on the Customer entity, then you must add the reference number field to the Customer Card page. The Connector for Microsoft Dynamics becomes aware of the field during configuration, and the field is exposed in the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics. You can then map it.

To add a custom field to standard entity maps

1. In Microsoft Dynamics NAV, in Object Designer, open the page that has been exposed as a web service in design mode.

2. Add the field to the page, and then recompile the page.

You may also want to provide an integration map for a custom entity. In this case, you must modify the IsIntegrationRecord function in the Integration Management codeunit to ensure that the OnDatabase<x> triggers are executed on the corresponding page or table. In this way, you can create integration records. You must also add the page as an integration web service. When you run the configuration tool in the Connector for Microsoft Dynamics, the fields are exposed to the Connector. You then create a map of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV fields to the equivalent Microsoft Dynamics CRM fields.

Regards, Donna

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 5:38 PM
  • In order to surface your custom attributes and entities in the Connector's mapping interface, you'll need to run the Configuration Utilities for both NAV and CRM which are available from those adapter's settings in the Connector's interface.

When you run the CRM configuration utility you'll need to provide the deployment adaministrator's credentials and click next, then you will be presented with a list of all of the customizable entities in the the selected CRM organization.  You'll want to check the check boxes for your custom entities as well as for the entities that you have added customizations to.  Then select the checkbox at the bottom of the dialog, which will cuase the utility to skip the full configuration and only generate what is needed for the selected entities.

The process is simialar when running the NAV configuration utility.

After you have generated the configuration for both systems, you'll want to deactive all maps, save them, and shutdown the service.  Then close and re-open the Connector.  Now you should be able to map your custom attributes on the existing map and you should also be able to create new maps for your custom entities.

The process for running the utilities is outlined in the User's Guide, and it is strongly recomeneded that you read this guide before and during your initial integration.

For more information on the Connector you can reference the team blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dynamicsconnector/

• Proposed as answer by thehetz Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:22 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:22 PM
  • Thanks for Your clarifying, I've now succesfully added custom fields to my Connector.
    Friday, April 29, 2011 8:19 AM