One Care's Audio Update Announcement? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

While watching Justintv.com I first heard a small chime then "Virus database update completed".  As you can imagine, I was certainly surprised.  One Care is the only security software I have on my computer.  Is this audio announcement a new feature of One Care?

Also One Care's log lists a few programs in Programs Files that no longer exist since they had been uninstalled and I deleted all files related to the program.

Thank you,

Camiele

Monday, May 4, 2009 1:19 AM

Answers

• As far as I know audio notifications are not a One Care feature. I also can't explain the log entries without more detail.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:03 AM

All replies

• As far as I know audio notifications are not a One Care feature. I also can't explain the log entries without more detail.
    Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Monday, May 4, 2009 4:03 AM
  • I will confirm jim's response - OneCare does not provide an audio notification (actually, it provides *no* notification) of signature updates. You may want to review your system and make sure that you are not running a second antivirus program. One program that does provide an audio announcement of updates is Avast - www.avast.com

What log are you referrring to?
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Monday, May 4, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Good afternoon,

Thank you Jim and Stephen for your replies.

This is truly a mystery.  I have used only 2 security softwares on this computer:  McAfee and when that expired, OneCare.  At this time I am also using WinPatrol, SAS, SpywareBlaster and MBAM.  Since they are all free versions, I must update them manually. 

However, just in case I may have had a lapse in memory, I checked all the programs to make sure.  I did not find any other anti-malware program.

I guess it will just remain a mystery for now.

Thanks again,

Camiele
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 7:47 PM
  • You're welcome. By the way, in additon to McAfee (removed) and OneCare (current), the others are also mostly security programs. Since they all require manual updates, I agree that it is a mystery. I'm not familiar with SAS and very familiar with SpywareBlaster. If SAS, WinPatrol, or MalwareBytes have active protection, you're going to want to disable them and only run them on demand. If they are active, instead of protecting the PC, they can cause issues and even allow malware to pass due to the conflict of scan processes.
    -steve
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 12:43 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

I remember you told me that running more than one security application at the same time could cause a problem.  Since I am using the free versions of SAS and MBAM, they can only be used on demand.  But I make sure I exit them after each use.  However, SpywareBlaster runs continually. 

WinPatrol is a "watch dog" program.  In fact, its icon is a picture of a small dog.  WinPatrol monitors the system for the startup of new programs, then alert the user for permission to allow that program or not.

I learned of WinPatrol as well as the other softwares mentioned, from trusted security newsletters and moderators of several forums I have had the pleasure of using over the last 2 years.  But I do have a question. 

OneCare is set to scan daily.  I run MBAM weekly or anytime something mysterious happens; the same with SAS.  Should I turn off OneCare's virus and spyware scanner whenever I use MBAM or SAS?

Oh yes, I also use CCleaner which you once said I should be careful about using?  Could CCleaner, which I use weekly, cause a problem to my system?

As always, thank you for the valuable information.

Continued blessings,

Camiele
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 9:52 PM
  • Working from the bottom up - CCleaner can cause issues if you let it blow away registry entries without reviewing them. It would not be causing your recent mystery. :-)

You can turn off OneCare when you use the other scanners, though that is optional. I personally would.

Skipping over one - Spyware blaster isn't actually a running program. It configures browser security and then goes away. there is no monitoring or running.

WinPatrol always running and monitoring startup items, looking to intercept launches has the potential for conflict, though I'm not aware of any reports of it being a problem. It could deadlock with OneCare, though I suspect not. At most, it will induce a small performance hit on the system.

Take care,

-steve

Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:40 AM
  • Hello Stephen,

I really appreciate the extra information. 

God bless you,

Camiele
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:11 PM