WHS doesn't allow connections and requires rebooting regularly RRS feed

• Question

• So, when my server is running it seems to be fine, apart from an issue restoring backups that doesn't seem to have been resolved through the connect site... :-(  Is there a way to follow those up apart from adding more comments? 

Anyway, my new issue is that the server seems to go offline regularly - I noticed this when I tried to access shares and couldn't get to them or the Home Server connect software on either my XP or Vista PCs. The icon in the systray is gray.  This also means that the server has not been performing backups regularly - this seems to have happened more in the last couple of weeks.  

As I don't know if the server is going to run overnight and back things up, it doesn't give me great confidence.  When I run a backup manually they seem to run to completion ok. 

When the server is not responding, and I check the attached monitor the server is at the login screen, but there is no way to connect through the connector software or RDP.

Any ideas? 
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:47 AM

Answers

• Can you still ping the server by IP or by name, if that happens? If the ping does not go through, is the IP address still resolved if you try via name?
    Do you see anything in the event log of the server pointing to problems?
    Do you use an Add-In to bring the server to sleep or hibernate mode?
    Did you already try to disable the setting in the properties of the network adapter in device manager on the Power management tab, that allows the computer to disable the network adapter to save power?
    You also can try to get updated network drivers (or even a network adapter for your WHS with native Windows Server 2003 drivers, since the onboard interfaces often do not play well with a server OS) and if the server is directly connected to the router, also the latest router firmware.
    Are the clients connected wired or wireless?

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by r_c_pattinson Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:07 AM

All replies

• Can you still ping the server by IP or by name, if that happens? If the ping does not go through, is the IP address still resolved if you try via name?
    Did you already try to disable the setting in the properties of the network adapter in device manager on the Power management tab, that allows the computer to disable the network adapter to save power?
    You also can try to get updated network drivers (or even a network adapter for your WHS with native Windows Server 2003 drivers, since the onboard interfaces often do not play well with a server OS) and if the server is directly connected to the router, also the latest router firmware.

Olaf
    • Marked as answer by r_c_pattinson Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 7:07 AM

Olaf
    Thanks for the ideas....
    Ping - not sure. Server is up and good right now, will check next time I have an issue
    Log - I'm not sure.....next time I know it's gone down, will check. 
    I don't use anything to sleep or hibernate the server. (not intentionally - will double check the settings)
    The network adapter WAS set to disable to save power - so that could well be the issue. 
    THe router is a standard Verizon one which is not great - I suspect that may not help matters.
    My desktop is wired, and the laptop wireless.

I'm going to see how it goes for a few days with the change in settings for the network adapter. Will report back...
    Thanks again. 
    Friday, July 10, 2009 7:18 PM
  • thanks = that seems to have helped - not had the same issues over the last few weeks.
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 2:22 AM