Document Management (just add urls, NO SHAREPOINT) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys, I have two questions regarding Document Management.

1) I have Appointment record where I want to add list of URLS to external websites. I DO NOT want to utilize sharepoint to store files. Instead of just adding 10 fields with url functionality I wanted to see if I can utilize document management in CRM. I enabled this for Appointment and I can see I can add urls via "SharePoint Document Locations" BUT I can not add this from Appointment record! In Appointment record, I created subgrid for "Document Locations".. Anyone knows whether I can add document locations from the actual Appointment record?

2) Also, I was curious whether anyone knew whether instead of utilizing Document Management with Sharepoint we can integrate it with WorkSite?

Any info would be much appreciated

Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• For your question 1, when you enable SharePoint it creates a default site and the folders created are for an account or a contact. So if you have to do anything custom the best way to do have iFrame point to that location. Same with WorkSite, based on what you would index the records use an iFrame to show the results.

Philip

Thursday, November 21, 2013 5:06 PM
  • Thanks Philip! That helps so much, I just tried and it does work for Account.

When you say when I enable Sharepoint it creates a defautl site. Are you referring this under Document Management> Sharepoint Sites? Because I have nothing there. Is that the link I would have to insert in my iframe?

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Cool...

When you install CRM components for SharePoint create a site collection on SharePoint. The configuration for that site is what you would enter in your CRM SharePoint configuration. Now coming to your iFrame, you could have any URL on your iFrame, which basically means you do not need to point to that site collection.

Check this article....

http://blogs.technet.com/b/anand_nigam/archive/2013/01/26/republished-crm-2011-and-sharepoint-2010-integration-part-3.aspx 

Philip

Thursday, November 21, 2013 6:54 PM
  • cool thanks Philip for taking time to respond. I will install the component. Just to be clear, my goal is to have just urls displayed. I have no intenetion to utilize sharepoint for document storage as we use Worksite, not sure if you heard of it, its another document storage. (In the end, we would want to integrate Worksite, but for now I just want the functionality for users to add a row with a url as per below.)

Is that your understanding what I wanted to accomplish? Sorry for my dumb question, I am still little unclear when you say:

1) create a site collection on SharePoint - is that by creating one from"Sharepoint Sites"

2) The configuration for that site is what you would enter in your CRM SharePoint configuration. - little unclear on this..

3) you could have any URL on your iFrame, which basically means you do not need to point to that site collection. - what do you mean any url? for example? My understanding for iFrame is its ability to embed a website into CRM, but I am not really looking for that..

this is what I am hoping to acomplish using Document Management

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:55 PM
  • If you are not using SharePoint for document storage, why don't you just create some text fields on the record itself and set them to be hyperlinks rather than text?  It seems like it would be much easier unless you will not consistently have the same number of links on the records.

This allow the user to open the record, and simply click on the hyperlink.

Using this method, you can also look at the activities in grid view and add the columns for the URLs for quick reference is necessary.

Jason Peterson

Jason Peterson

Friday, November 22, 2013 10:23 AM
  • Hi Jason - this was my first idea but then we don't know how many fields users may need. Some users would need 5, some 20.. And I like how with document management subgrid you can easily add a new url(record).

Friday, November 22, 2013 12:54 PM
  • When you point to a particular URL in your iFrame it would show the website, you understand is correct. So let take a situation you only want to show a page that is in WorkSite, the easier way would be to create a web resource and have your api's call with WorkSite and show the list.

Friday, November 22, 2013 7:06 PM