Great Idea RRS feed

• General discussion

• I work on a laptop most of the time.   I sometimes hesitate to start large file downloads (1gb+) from my laptop because I don't like leaving my laptop on for long periods of time.    Also, I find that downloading via my wifi is slightly slower than from my wired computers.

I'm not much of a .net dev, but here's my idea:
    An IE context menu item that will allow you to download files directly on the server into your home directory.  It feels like we could do this fairly easily but who knows?

If nobody else does this, I'll brush off my studio and see what I can do Smile

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:11 AM

All replies

• I can offer a couple of suggestions. First, you'll want to make sure you're using .Net Framework 2.0, because 3.0 is only installed if a WHS user does so manually. And you'll be better off using C# rather than VB.Net. (Which reminds me, I'm going to have a couple of free days to clean up my VB.Net template).

Second, your tool will need three pieces. You'll need a client piece that will plug in to Internet Explorer and function as the download manager interface. Next is a service which will run on WHS and will handle download requests. Finally, you'll need a WHS Console add-in which will provide the user with a maintenance interface and allow choosing a location to download to (and whatever other controls you think are good). Of the three, the only one I think would be at all challenging is the client piece. The other pieces just don't have many moving parts to worry about. Smile
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:24 AM
  • I was actually already planning on doing this, but with more features than what you said. The problem is, I don't really have any PC capable of running WHS (all are short on ram). But I do plan to start working on it soon. If you have any suggestions, feel free to contact me on msn (josh at joshmackey dot net).
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:49 AM
  • Bruce -

This is a good idea.  I had been working on something similar as one of my (too many) 'spare time' projects.

Once I get V1 of PhotoSync wrapped up, I will spend some more time on this one.

-Ed

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:15 PM
  • I can see what you mean on all of this.   Perhaps I really should just buckle down and get going on it.  Even if the other, more talented .net devs in this thread outdo me really soon, it will just help me see the differences in coding approaches in .net.   I will write more in detail about some of the ideas Ive had today when I get off work.

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 4:17 PM