My antiviris program is not protecting me against all virus RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Live One Care Antivirus Program is not protecting my computer against a virus when
    I am in Faceinhole and Imikimi.  These are two programs I use when I am making my greeting cards
    for my family and friends.  In the Last few days when I have been in Faceinhole, a virus has taken over
    my computer pretending to be my antiviris program (very similar name).

I could not get into my own Windows Live Anitivirus or System Restore to try to get rid of this virus.  I finally
    managed to outsmart this virus by shutting down my computer and going right into system restore before the
    virus could stop me - which it almost did. 

My Windows Alive One Care is coming up for renewal in a short while.  I am not sure what to do.
    I miss using these two programs and wondered if there is any Antivirus Program that
    is strong enough to stand off this virus which seems to be attached somehow to a ____ Site called Sandbox or at
    least that is what appeared on my screen.

I would appreciate any help.  Thank you - Cheers, katiebird
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 8:11 PM

Answers

• Hi, Katiebird.
    The virus that managed to elude OneCare is a variant of the WinAntivirus Pro malware that is very hard to detect and prevent, unfortunately, due to the fact that it morphs constantly and is delivered via an infected web site, usually through advertisements embedded on the site. Make sure that all of your programs are up to date, especially Adobe Flash, which is a common delivery point, and also that you have the Smartscreen Filter enabled in IE8.
    Your action was the correct one.
    When the pop-up appears, the action to take is to immediately kill all Internet Explorer processes via Task Manager and then empty the temporary Internet files. Touching the pop-up allows the infection to happen - even when you click the close button. An alternative is to reboot the PC via the Start/Shut Down option and then clear the Temporary Internet files via Control Panel/Internet Options.
    No security software is 100% effective as the malware writers are always working to be one step ahead of detection.
    As for renewal. OneCare will not be renewed.

See this post for End of Life information for Windows Live OneCare - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecaregeneral/thread/81996436-edad-41ba-bdfc-02fc094e2ca9

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:55 PM