MSN continues to index non-www url RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please give me a difinitive reason why MSN continues to index my homepage as non.www when every other SE indexes it using the correct www.

If it were not for the htaccess 301 redirect to www (which has been in place for months) then I doubt MSN would not even find my site http://www.crowland-links.com

I didn't get a satisfactory explanation (or further assistance) previously, so I'm hoping Brett can be a little more constructive than to point me to guidelines which we are fully in complience with showing NO ERRORS in WMT.

In addition, why does MSN index my XML sitemap and index snippets for it? How the harry-potter did you manage that?

And show insignificant pages in my Top 5 - not even the cat visits those?

Genuinely seeking help here...

www.crowland-links.com

Thursday, December 4, 2008 5:44 PM

Answers

• I have not heard this. Could you please post the URL to this article?

Thanks,

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Profaders,

It looks like all of your indexed URLs are listed under the www version except for the homepage. I am doing a little more research on this and will get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Brett

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:11 PM
  • I notice same issue with lots of websites I monitor to be honest. It's not a problem of this guy only. Although we setup 301 redirects for homepage from non-www to www or vice-vera ... Live Search manages to follow the ruling on all web pages, except for the homepage.

I wrote about one case in particular here:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/webmaster/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4284695&SiteID=79

Maybe Live engineers are reluctant to effect changes on main domain's homepage cause it will loose domain history? I wonder why this issue has been going on for years to be honest.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 12:33 PM
  • To answer your question. MSN is not accepting some websites for indexing at this time.. If your site isn't a site that hasn't been around on msn for years it is most likely that they have stopped indexing the content of your site and just index the root directory, This has happen to my site also. Check with MSN LIVE SEARCH. There is a articale regarding this. I suppose you will just have to wait until they begin indexing more sites

Good Luck

Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:06 AM
  • I have not heard this. Could you please post the URL to this article?

Thanks,

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:28 PM
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 8:27 PM