MS Validation RRS feed

• General discussion

• As like people I see posting here I to am tryered of paying MS to activate my retail version of XP, This is a home unit that has multiable HD,s (5) in it to serve many use,s and I keep it up to date as newer hardware become available. It has already cost me more than had I bought a new copy of XP. Do they not under stand that they are driving customers to other OS that are not MS? What's worse like the last time I had to do this it took 3 people to get the job done because I could not under stand a word they said. My time is valueable to me also. Is there any thing in the works to fix this or are we all become slaves to MS.  Sorry if this seems like I am ranting but I need to vent in hopes some one at MS will see what they are doing to their custormer base. If they keep doing this I will be force to that FREE OS and may never look back as many are doing.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 1:17 AM

All replies

• Boggeyman,

A full retail license for XP allows you to re-install the license as many times as you want, and allows you to move the license from one computer to another as many times as you want.  The only restriction is that any one license can be installed and activated on only one computer at any given moment.  If you want to move the license to another computer, it has to be uninstalled from the old computer.

There is no reason why you should have to pay any additional money to Microsoft if you are staying within the limits of the End User Licensing Agreement, which in the case of a retail license is very flexible.

You do have to spend about 7 minutes doing the Telephone Activation precedure.

Monday, August 27, 2007 3:54 AM
  • @ Dan

What is Microsofts stand on the false charges placed to me for activation? And yes I am very knowlegable of the license agreement and the computing world. 7 Minutes would be not a problem but the last time or two it has taken the best part of an hour, as I said waiting and then getting a preson that speaks very bad english ,having had to talk to as many as 4 people just to get one that you could understand. Each PC in my home as its own retail version of XP and my quistion is more about the money MS has charge for the activation of my retail version of XP.

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:09 AM
  • Boggeyman,

Please do me a favor and provide a copy of your diagnostic test results. Below are instructions.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:
    1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:44 PM
  • May I ask what dose this have to do with the question, I bought retail copies  from NEWEGG and from TigerDirect and was charge to reactivate the older of the two, is this a beat around the bush attemp to discourage me? Why is the question that hard to give me a straight anwser to. If Microsoft needs the money that bad keep it, just give me a straight anwser.

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:12 PM
  • Boggeyman,

Stephen was just trying to gather facts from which he could give you a solid response.

Since we have no facts, we can only guess why your "retail" copies of XP are acting like OEM copies.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 5:23 PM