none
Can't Logon to Microsoft Money RRS feed

• Question

• For the last threee days I have not been able to logon to Microsoft Money.  Anyone else have this problem?
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 2:45 AM

All replies

• Can't you access your file if you " work offline"? I suggest you remove your LiveID.
    Saturday, November 20, 2010 4:31 PM
  • (edited - found another post about removing Live ID, thanks anyway)
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:43 PM
  • Same problem here.  I'm wondering if it's a wait-until-the server-is-fixed type problem or something else.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Same problem here.  I'm wondering if it's a wait-until-the server-is-fixed type problem or something else.

You can make that moot by removing your LiveID.
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 6:48 PM
  • For the last threee days I have not been able to logon to Microsoft Money.  Anyone else have this problem?

Yes same problem. So...had me looking for alternatives, since I will be forced to choose something else in a couple of months anyway. Any recommendations? I haven't heard good things about Quicken, AceMoney looks a little amateurish.... :-( Why did they take away MS Money...it works fine for waht I need. :(
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:23 PM

Yes same problem. So...had me looking for alternatives, since I will be forced to choose something else in a couple of months anyway. Any recommendations? I haven't heard good things about Quicken, AceMoney looks a little amateurish.... :-( Why did they take away MS Money...it works fine for waht I need. :(

You should look at the PocketSense scripts to let you continue to use Microsoft Money and to download from new FIs that offer OFX. Your current FIs that you are working with with direct OFX should continue to work, but the servers Money needs to set up for new FIs will go away. PocketSense can work with your current Money install, and it can work for the Money Plus Sunset versions. You would want to save the Money Sunset install file in case you want to reinstall or to install onto a new computer after January. Some versions of Money can install later, but you might as well get the Sunset installer now. So there is no need to not continue to use Money. Many of the Portofolio columns will stop updating, but many will still continue to work. http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/60e14c6f-8a34-4f48-a286-69f9d6a62dfb identifies columns that will remain useful.

Also, Quicken is a very good choice. The conversion is very good. It does not have the interface that you are used to, but it can do pretty much what Money does. This includes getting info from FIs that do not offer OFX servers by having somebody present your credentials to your FI's website, and delivering the results to Quicken. This is similar to the Yodlee screen scraping that Money had. I suspect that bad things you heard were mostly from people who found the interface to be unfamiliar.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:42 PM
  • I have not been successful in removing my LiveID from my most recent Money 2007 file.  When I started to have the subject problems Friday last week, I changed the LiveID password.  That didn't work so i changed it back to the original password.  Then I installed Money 2008 to see if that would fix the problem to no avail.  Saturday I noticed that sometimes I could open my money file without on-line access, sometimes not.  Now I cannot anytime.  I was able to open my 2003 - 2005 archives but no archived files later than 2005.  It all seems very odd.  I'm concerned now that I’ve changed too many variables to ever get back to opening my recent money file and then remove the LiveID.
    • Proposed as answer by Leilad8 Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:01 PM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 12:25 AM
  • I have not been successful in removing my LiveID from my most recent Money 2007 file.  When I started to have the subject problems Friday last week, I changed the LiveID password.  That didn't work so i changed it back to the original password.  Then I installed Money 2008 to see if that would fix the problem to no avail.  Saturday I noticed that sometimes I could open my money file without on-line access, sometimes not.  Now I cannot anytime.  I was able to open my 2003 - 2005 archives but no archived files later than 2005.  It all seems very odd.  I'm concerned now that I’ve changed too many variables to ever get back to opening my recent money file and then remove the LiveID.

I would disconnect from the internet. Then try to sign in offline with each of the LiveID credentials.

If that does not work, with the internet still disconnected, File->Restore a backup. Try your newest and second-newest backups. Use the credentials in effect when the backup was made. Once into your file working offline, remove your LiveID. If you don't want to overwrite the file you have been using, don't restore to the "default location", but instead Browse to your Documents folder and choose a name. On the other hand, overwriting the file that is not accessible may not be a negative.

Monday, November 22, 2010 12:41 AM
  • That was helpful Cal.  Thanks.
    Monday, November 22, 2010 1:26 AM
  • I have tried all of these suggestions, but none of them worked for me.  The problem is that Money 2007 Deluxe requires a live internet connection and the ability to login with a Live ID in order to remove or change the LiveID as well as to discontinue online updates from MSN Money.  It's a perfect "Catch 22"!  I can't even use a Sunset installation as I've read that requires that the file from which I import data and settings must already have these features turned off before the import.  I believe it was here http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ though I can't find the correct post now.

TIA for any help.

• Edited by MadMonk72 Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:15 PM Edited for typo.
    Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I have tried all of these suggestions, but none of them worked for me.  The problem is that Money 2007 Deluxe requires a live internet connection and the ability to login with a Live ID in order to remove or change the LiveID as well as to discontinue online updates from MSN Money.  It's a perfect "Catch 22"!  I can't even use a Sunset installation as I've read that requires that the file from which I import data and settings must already have these features turned off before the import.  I believe it was here http://microsoftmoneyoffline.wordpress.com/ though I can't find the correct post now.

TIA for any help.

Sorry you are having problems. I hope you did not try to change your Live ID. You should not attempt to change your LiveID. Money 2007 or Plus do not require an internet connection to remove the LiveID. In fact, you would probably be better to disconnect from the internet and sign in offline before trying to remove your Live ID.

I am pretty sure you do not have to have your LiveID removed before opening (and therefore converting) your Money 2007 file in Money Plus. Again, I suggest your disconnecting from the internet at the time you try to first open your file under Money 2007.

If you want to test to see if your LiveID matches your file, try making a repaired version of your Money file using File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2. That is more version-independent than opening a file in Money.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:39 PM
  • On nov 13th my Money 2007 "broke".  at the same time my msn email account would not sync with outlook 2003. any thoughts.

kathryn

Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:15 AM
  • On nov 13th my Money 2007 "broke".  at the same time my msn email account would not sync with outlook 2003. any thoughts.

kathryn

You also should remove the LiveID from your Money file.

After that, you might described what you mean by "broke" if Money does not do what you expect. Note that fetching info from some accounts was discontinued in October.

Thursday, December 2, 2010 6:29 AM
  • HI,

(using money 2007 home & business)

I can no longer get my updates.. when I try it says "your provider has updated their service offerings"  Click here to update your online services.

When I try to update it ask me to setup online services with my bank.

When I try to do any of that it asks me to log in with my live ID .. I try to log in it says it was unsuccessful and try again (have tried several times throughout the past couple of weeks) Then it says if you see this error again WL ID or MSN money may be undergoing maintenance (which I doubt would be happening for a few weeks) .  It says check server status which just throws me to the default MSN Money page.

Why would I want to remove my LiveID ?  Any suggestions / insights / solutions?

Thanks!

Saturday, December 11, 2010 11:33 PM
  • HI,

(using money 2007 home & business)

I can no longer get my updates.. when I try it says "your provider has updated their service offerings"  Click here to update your online services.

When I try to update it ask me to setup online services with my bank.

When I try to do any of that it asks me to log in with my live ID .. I try to log in it says it was unsuccessful and try again (have tried several times throughout the past couple of weeks) Then it says if you see this error again WL ID or MSN money may be undergoing maintenance (which I doubt would be happening for a few weeks) .  It says check server status which just throws me to the default MSN Money page.

Why would I want to remove my LiveID ?  Any suggestions / insights / solutions?

Thanks!

See http://www.microsoft.com/money/default.mspx which says "Update (9/01/10): Online Banking Services Changing in October
    Beginning October 1, 2010, Microsoft Money will disable online banking services for all accounts that use a third party provider. Microsoft Money will continue supporting services with direct connections to a financial institution until online services are discontinued on January 31, 2011. Please see the following KB article for more information on how to identify accounts that may be disabled and instructions on how to proceed: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2390720 "

That is why you are not able to get some banking info that you previously received. That service needed Live ID. That service is gone.

Why would you want to remove the Live ID from your file? To stop those login attempts.

Monday, December 13, 2010 8:21 PM
  • Having same problem. "work offline" doesnt help; it still wants a liveID and password to get in.  Since I never get in, I cant remove the liveID.  I've changed my id several times, but that doesn't help
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Im having same problem, for many days, ever since I tried to use a liveid instead of the old MSN passport password which my computer remembered and I do not.  But Live id is locking me out.  I dont want to give up completely, but have tried installing the Sunset (on another computer).  The screen that comes up looks identical to Money 2007, no way to be sure it is sunset--the first thing it asks me is to put in my liveid and password!!     Help
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 11:05 PM
  •  

Later......I've made progress. Someone said he could open some old archive files.  I dont have archives but I tried one of my backup files from not too long ago and I got in, and removed the LiveID.  If I wanted to update again, I'd still need a working LiveID, but I'm satisfied just to see my data.

"Work offline" works exactly as if I want online services.  I need a LiveID and passowrd.  In the past, when I signed in "offline" I noticed it did update all the portfolio prices anyway.

I just cant get into my files at all;  I started with Managing Your Money in the late '90s,  so I have an awful lot of history I dont want to lose.  I would love to remove the ID, but cant find a way. I wish you had put somethng in the Sunset edition to allow me to just look at the data.

Is there anything in theSunset edition which verifies that it is indeed the new version?

• Proposed as answer by Leilad8 Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:25 PM
    Sunday, December 19, 2010 10:59 PM
  •  

Later......I've made progress. Someone said he could open some old archive files.  I dont have archives but I tried one of my backup files from not too long ago and I got in, and removed the LiveID.  If I wanted to update again, I'd still need a working LiveID, but I'm satisfied just to see my data.

I am interpreting the part of your post that you quoted as superceding the part that I did not quote. I hope that is the way it is.

Having a LiveID on your file would not allow any updating to occur that will not happen with the LiveID.

Monday, December 20, 2010 1:00 AM
  • How can you remove your Live ID when Money wont allow you to log on with it??
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:51 AM
  • How do I remove my LiveID?

I recently changed my Hotmail account password.  I now cannot sign in to Microsoft Money because it tells me my password is incorrect.  I cannot use either the new or the old password.  Hotmail will not allow me to change it back because it does not allow previously used passwords.

HELP!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 12:26 PM
  • How do I remove my LiveID?

I recently changed my Hotmail account password.  I now cannot sign in to Microsoft Money because it tells me my password is incorrect.  I cannot use either the new or the old password.  Hotmail will not allow me to change it back because it does not allow previously used passwords.

HELP!!

Disconnect from the Internet.  Pull your ethernet cable or turn off
    your modem -- whatever it takes.  Start Money, click below the
    password field to select "I want to sign in to Money directly,
    without access to all online services." then click Next.

If you get into your file, and if you are using Money 2006 or later,
    remove your LiveID.  Do not attempt to change your LiveID.  If you
    already changed your LiveID, use the credentials that were in
    effect at the time that you saved that Money file.  To remove the
    Live ID, go to File-PasswordManager, and choose to remove your
    LiveID.  To remove or add a conventional password, also see
    File->PasswordManager.

The password is case-sensitive.  If you are not sure of your
    credentials, write down what you remember.  Consider permutations.
    Check your notes.  You will not get into the file without those
    credentials in effect when the file was saved.

If you are using Money 2005 or earlier, and you have a Microsoft LiveID or Passport on your file, you will either have to continue signing in offline with that same set of credentials, or you will have to do many File->Export from the old file and a single File->Import into the new file.

Tuesday, July 22, 2014 1:46 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem!!
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:45 PM
  • I can do nothing without my credentials. The ones I entered are correct, but money will not accept

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 10:46 PM
  • What is wrong with these big pc companies. This is the exact reason why I don't use Microsoft Explorer. Too hard!!
    Saturday, November 4, 2017 3:26 AM