complicated sync now lots of unresolved conflicts RRS feed

• Question

• I did something not so bright...  I installed windows 7 on my laptop and put some music in there and then wanted to sync with my Destkop PC via live mesh.  So I set my Desktop PC to sync just with my laptop.  This put the icon on the desktop and started to sync.  This wasn't the behavior I wanted because I wanted it to sync with the music folder on my laptop.  So I couldn't get the location to update so I proceeded to then make another sync point from my music folder on my laptop.  Which by this point i discovered I had to add it to my live desktop in order for me to set the location on my Destop PC which i set it to the music folder then deleted the live desktop sync point.  So I had 2 music mesh's  going on one orginiating from my desktop pc and the other originating from my laptop... so this caused all sorts of problems, and I ended up deleting one of the sync point (laptop originated) and somehow all my music was gone.  I did notice that it appeared to all be in the holding area.  So what I did then is I had a backup of my harddrive from mozy.com and I restored all my music on my desktop PC and then it started to sync to the laptop and it seemed to have somewhat worked, but everything isn't synced and on both machines I have a constant 50 unresolved conflicts with various options to either copy from one machine to the other, keep both versions, delete, etc.  And there are some files where no matter which option I choose it is unable to resolve the conflict.  I also tried renaming the holding area folder and it looks like it starts to rebuild it some how.  So I undid that and put it back to normal.  So I'm not sure what to do at this point, should I just delete all music sync points and start fresh?  Please help.  Sorry for the confusing nature of this post.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:30 PM

Answers

• I think that your best bet is to do the following:
    1. Go to the Live Desktop and change the settings to stop synchronizing the folder with both PCs.
    2. On both PCs, delete any extra folders that exist after Live Mesh changes them back to normal folders following the removal from the Mesh.
    3. Restore any files from your backups to the folder or folders where they were lost from.
    4. Confirm that you have a clean backup of your files/folders that you intend to sync
    (Optional) 5. Manually copy the files from the laptop to desktop and/or from desktop to laptop so that both locations are now in sync
    6. Add the folder to the Mesh from the source machine desired (doesn't matter if you did step 5 above)
    7. Go to the Live Desktop on the web and change the settings to sync with the other PC, and to not sync with the Live Desktop.
    7. When the Live Mesh folder is offered on the other PC, click it and set the sync folder to be the desired destination folder and accept the merge prompt. If both folders are already in sync from step 5, above, it will check the folders quickly and all should be well. If conflicts arise, deal with them one at a time.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:41 PM

All replies

1. Go to the Live Desktop and change the settings to stop synchronizing the folder with both PCs.
    2. On both PCs, delete any extra folders that exist after Live Mesh changes them back to normal folders following the removal from the Mesh.
    3. Restore any files from your backups to the folder or folders where they were lost from.
    4. Confirm that you have a clean backup of your files/folders that you intend to sync
    (Optional) 5. Manually copy the files from the laptop to desktop and/or from desktop to laptop so that both locations are now in sync
    6. Add the folder to the Mesh from the source machine desired (doesn't matter if you did step 5 above)
    7. Go to the Live Desktop on the web and change the settings to sync with the other PC, and to not sync with the Live Desktop.
    7. When the Live Mesh folder is offered on the other PC, click it and set the sync folder to be the desired destination folder and accept the merge prompt. If both folders are already in sync from step 5, above, it will check the folders quickly and all should be well. If conflicts arise, deal with them one at a time.

-steve
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:41 PM

-steve

I disagree w/ your first step#7.  Do not set the destination-PC to synch from the live-desktop.  Instead, do it from the destination-PC's notification-tray MESH icon:  Left-click (to show the 'notifier'), then go to the Folders tab, and click on the "Manage Folders" link.  THAT's THE TRICK, it will open your %username%\Live Mesh Folders\ where you can RIGHT-CLICK on your meshed folder and choose "Sync with this computer...".  That allows you to specify WHERE you want it to synch to.

(The rest of steve's answer looks correct, though I probably wouldn't bother w/ step 5.)  Does this help?
    • Edited by Douglas-MFD Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Douglas-MFD Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 3:16 PM
  • Actually, my step 7 refers to the offered blue faded folder on the destination PC desktop, not the Live Desktop. You can also do it from the notifier *before* you accept the sync location as the desktop.
    When the folder is faded and appears on the desktop, left clicking once begins the process to select where you wish the folder to sync to on that PC. If you click through quickly, the defaults are accepted and synchronization begins. If you read the dialogs and make you choices carefully, you can specifiy where to sync to.

Step 5 is indeed optional. I can't say that it helps, but if the files are the same at source and destination, they will not need to sync. In the case of a large qty of files, that has to help.

-steve
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:18 PM