Back up and restore issues RRS feed

• Question

• I've experineced this problem off and on for 2 years. Occasionally during back up the tool looks up at 49% complete. I can run the back up several times and it mat complete but more often than not, it locks up. I've done complete new back ups and it works fine until I have to do my weekly back up and then it locks up again at 49% complete. It is getting really annoying, time consuming and I'm not getting my system backed up. Any ideas?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• Please contact support for help with this. There may be a problem with your drive or it could be OneCare.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:17 AM
  • When the backup is at 49%, the backup device gets initialized and starts working.  Everything before 49% has nothing to do with the actual burner and is just OneCare preparing the files for backup.

If the process fails at 49% it's usually just a bad CD/DVD or could potentially be another software that has locked the burning device and OneCare cannot access it.

I would chock it up to "general bad CD/DVD media issues" as it sounds pretty intermittent.  I know personally that whenever I burn something I usually give it about a 80% chance of success, which is the same success rate that I normally see in all burning software that I have tried.

If OneCare backup was broken, it would not burn at all.  When the problem is intermittent like that it's usually cheap CD/DVD media problems that's causing the issue.

I hope this helps

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:21 PM