Remote Desktop in Windows Home Server (WHS) RRS feed

• Question

• I have WHS running great and use Remote Desktop to access home grown applications on it. Today I can have two simultaneous Remote Desktop sessions but I need to be able to have 4 or 5. All I can find is that Microsoft limits the RDS for WHS to two (2) connections.

My questions are:

1. Can I purchase RDS for my WHS and upgrade to 5 simultaneous sessions?

2. If not, what SBS 2003/2008 server should I upgrade to and can I just upgrade or do I need a fresh install?

-randy

Saturday, March 6, 2010 1:11 PM

Answers

• Remote desktop is technically not supported in Windows Home Server, is configured for Remote Administration Mode, and (per the EULA) should only be used for administrative tasks.

For what you want to do, you should purchase Windows Server 2008 plus some number of Remote Desktop Services CALS. You can learn more about RDS here .
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:00 PM

All replies

• Remote desktop is technically not supported in Windows Home Server, is configured for Remote Administration Mode, and (per the EULA) should only be used for administrative tasks.

For what you want to do, you should purchase Windows Server 2008 plus some number of Remote Desktop Services CALS. You can learn more about RDS here .
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 3:00 PM
  • Thank you Ken,

That seems like a large expense just to get a few more sessions than I have today.  I am not concerned about the admin security, just need to have separate sessions.  What is the cheapest version of WS 2008 I can go with to do this?

-randy

Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:00 PM
  • Thank you Ken,

That seems like a large expense just to get a few more sessions than I have today.  I am not concerned about the admin security, just need to have separate sessions.  What is the cheapest version of WS 2008 I can go with to do this?

-randy
    You should ask any Server 2008 questions in the Windows Server forums.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 4:43 PM
  • It's not a question of security. Remote Desktop For Administration mode is "in box" with all versions of Windows Server, but is intended only for administration tasks directly on the server that can't be performed remotely. Use as a desktop (which you are doing) is a violation of the End User License Agreement, i.e. it's illegal, and in theory Microsoft could sue you for what you're doing (not that that's very likely, but still...). It's also risky, more so on Windows Home Server as there are tools on the desktop that can severely impact normal Windows Home Server functionality.

Bottom line is that your use (and need) is for a Remote Desktop Services server, so you need to buy the appropriate software. You can look on e.g. NewEgg.com, where Windows Server 2008 plus 5 RDS CALS is around 1200-1300 USD.
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Theres actually 3 connections you can use not 2.

mstsc /v:yourserver /admin

The /admin switch will allow you to access the console of whs.

Saturday, March 6, 2010 10:28 PM
  • I noted that with the actual RDP client (WinXP or Vista), you have to be an Administrator (or have your user added to the Administrator group) on WHS in order to be able to login (it gives you an error saying that you have to be given the Terminal Server rigth but that you don't have it and that by adding yourself to the remote uses group, you'll inherit the TS right(s)).  I created a user and it is in the Remote User group but it cannot use the RDP client to login unless you also add it to the Administrators group.

Accessing RDP "(Connect to your Server) link over the web via the https://<server>/remote access method doesn't seem to require this but nets out to the same access as Administrator.  Are you actually logging in "as" Administrator in the web-based client?

Am I missing something between the web versus "full client" versions?

Thanks,

GL

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:42 AM
  • I know this post was from March 2010, but I would like to know one thing to make your request clear.

When you say you can "Remote Desktop" are you stating the administrative links to the server, or are you stating you have two separate remote accesses to computers on your home LAN?

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:31 PM