How long till I move from PST to GMT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Really pleased with Vail so far, its a cracking piece of software. I installed 4 times so far in vmware environment late last week and then on new hardware over the weekend. Overall performance on the new hardware was a bit slow so put on an older Intel board and fed it lots of ram. It runs excellent with a 160 as the OS, 4 x 1tb drives 2 duplicating some documents and 2 backing up. One of my teething problems was one of the Announcements under Known issues and Installation and Initial Configuration

"Before you install Windows Server “Vail”, set your BIOS clock to match the time and date for the Pacific Time Zone (PST) regardless of where you are located in the world. After successfully installing Windows Server “Vail” and joining client computers, do not reset the time, date, and time zone on the Dashboard for another day."

So I did as suggested but its not very clear to me how long before I can move it back to GMT or even if I can at all.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Nick

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Nick,

The server's cert was issued at the time of install. If your BIOS clock was accurate I'd say that you can set the time zone to GMT 8 hours after you started to install the server. The Internet time server should then set your system clock to a time after the cert's validity period starts.

The feature for setting this during server deployment is coming in a later build so this should be a one time thing this time around.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:40 PM

All replies

• "... for another day." seems clear to me.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:30 PM
  • Hi Nick,

The server's cert was issued at the time of install. If your BIOS clock was accurate I'd say that you can set the time zone to GMT 8 hours after you started to install the server. The Internet time server should then set your system clock to a time after the cert's validity period starts.

The feature for setting this during server deployment is coming in a later build so this should be a one time thing this time around.

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Kind regards /Lennart
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:40 PM
  • Hi Lennart,

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense. I installed 2 days ago.

Nick

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 4:43 PM