none
Can Someone Access my Router Remotely? Also Questions Abt Users, Groups, Permissions, etc. RRS feed

• Question

• How can i tell who is using my router? is it possible to access it remotely?  had roommates who got my password by checking my history pages after I changed it with Netgear. Some things don't make sense to me...like i am denied access to some of my files. iam the only one using pc and router and I am also admin. A profile appeared that was cindy000, which i never would have named it that. Also, who needs to be in my network, meanimg users like system, everyone, admin and admins, etc. Also, what permissions should each one have? Thank you!

Cynthia

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:14 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Monday, November 2, 2015 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I'd ask the router's manufacturer.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:19 PM
  •  Some things don't make sense to me...like i am denied access to some of my files. I am also admin. A profile appeared that was cindy000, which i never would have named it that.

For these things you can ask over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Cynthia,

It is indeed possible to access a router remotely, however, they would have needed to do this from connecting to in and setting up remote access. 

If you find out what router you have (make and model) you should be able to find where to set this kind of access up in the Manuel.

To change the setting you will need to connect to the router, which can be done through your web browser.

To find the address - open up command prompt then type ipconfig

You will see a series of numbers next to 'Default Gateway' - something along the lines of 192.168.0.1

Type that number into the address bar and press enter. You will then be taken to the login page for the router settings.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:18 PM
  • Hello,

The TechNet Wiki Discussion Forum is a place for the TechNet Wiki Community to engage, question, organize, debate, help, influence and foster the TechNet Wiki content, platform and Community.

Please note that this forum exists to discuss TechNet Wiki as a technology/application.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My E-mail: -join('6D73646E5F6B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Hello,

I'd ask the router's manufacturer.

Karl

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:19 PM
  •  Some things don't make sense to me...like i am denied access to some of my files. I am also admin. A profile appeared that was cindy000, which i never would have named it that.

For these things you can ask over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 3:36 PM