Client computer backup is corrupt but backup database is ok RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running WHS2011 with StableBit DrivePool xtenstion and StableBit Scanner extension. The Drivepool is a replacement of the original drivepool in WHS2003. It creates one large virtual disk volueme from multiple smaller physical disks.

The DrivePool condition is fine. StableBit scanner regularly checks the directory file structure and disks surfaces (sector by sector) and is also reporting no errors.

The condition of the client computer backups seems to be fine. If I do a Repair of the backup database, I get the report that the backup database has no errors.

But one of my laptops has crashed and now I want to recover files from the WHS backup. The recovery process seems to be running without problem, but if I inspect my restored files, it appears that approx 10% of all files is corrupted. The files are restored and are present on the restore volume with the intended file sizes, but if I inspect the files with hex editor, it appears that the contents of the files is all zeros. So for instance, I have recovered photos, but the contents of the photo file is all zeros.

Does anybody have a suggestion? How did this happen? Why did I not get any error? Why is the backup database being reported as healthy while in fact, many, many file (contents) is lost?

Ps. I did check on the crashed laptop (source data) and found that these files are ok. So it is not the case that the files were already corrupted on the source laptop and that corrupted files had been backed up

How can I now trust the backup procedure for other PCs that are backed up to the same server?

Many thanks!

Saturday, May 20, 2017 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that one of the client has reported that it has successfully restored files from WHS, but, about 10% of all files is corrupted when check the file locally.

Please make sure that your WHS is fully patches with Windows Update, it would be helpful for resolving some known issues and improving the performance. 

Bessie, I want to confirm with you that:
    1. If this problem also happens on other clients? 
    2. What is the client OS version?
    3. Whether this client backup is created recently?  

Also, please check event viewer to see if there is any relate event has been logged. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 22, 2017 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 9:54 AM