Deployment Help - TargetInvocationException on Sync RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Appreciate your help, I am new to Sync Services, we are looking at it as alternative to Merge Replication. But I have struggled to find Info on Deployment of Sync Services.

I have sync services working fine in development environment in Visual Studio 2008 Compact Framework 3.5 sp1 using the WCF Service Host
    & Windows Mobile Emulator

On compiling/deploying these to IIS, I cannot seem to get the synchronisation working between the Windows Mobile Client & the WCF Service hosted on IIS.

To Deploy to the Windows Mobile device I Deployed the CAB file I built,
     the SQL Compact Framework v3.5, SQL Server Compact, and SyncServices CAB files
    I have my WCF Service Library DLL which has been compiled
    I have set up a service.svc file, and a web.config file and put them on the IIS Website

I open the web site URL in IE it works fine and provides the standard 'NorthWindCacheSyncService Service'
    page.

But on synchronising the PDA I get

'TargetInvocationException'

The inner exception to this is a WebException

The URL for NorthwindCacheSyncService is set correctly in code.
    And on Synchronising it does seem to pick up the URL is a valid one

I have turned tracing on in the web.config file on the server for the WCF Service
    However no information is written to this file when synchronising from a PDA

Tracing information is written however on accessing the NorthWindCacheSyncService URL with Internet explorer.

What am I missing in getting the deployed Web Service and the PDA Client Application to sync?
    Any advice on what I may need to do to get this working is appreciated.

Good Examples/Walkthroughs of Deploying Sync Services (to IIS and the device client component) is appreciated.

Good advice on how to debug further also appreciated.

Thanks

• Moved by Hengzhe Li Friday, April 22, 2011 3:17 AM (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• I have solved my own issue. It was something pretty simple in the end.

After opening Internet Explorer on the PDA device and heading to the http://[ServerName]/NorthWindCacheSyncService/Service.svc Web site. I could not access this from my PocketPC.

However I could access the web address using the IPAddress rather than ServerName, i.e. http://[IPAddress]/NorthWindCacheSyncService/Service.svc 

I changed the URL the Client Application on the PDA is using to use the IPAddress rather than machinename and now all fine.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:09 AM
  • I am Still getting targetinvocationexception after change the IP Address. can any one help me!

Thanks In Advance.
    Tuesday, May 12, 2009 6:32 AM