none
How do I use the Sync Framework to sync between a SQL Server DB and a SQLite DB on iPhone using JavaScript? RRS feed

• Question

• I watched the MIX10 webcast, and it demonstrated an iPhone app that used the Sync Framework with SQLite. I need to do the same, except I am writing an ASP.NET AJAX web app for Safari on iOS (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad). I know that JavaScript can access SQLite. Can it use the Sync Framework as well? If not, can I send the SQLite data using HTTP and JSON (OData?) and let the server sync it with the SQL DB? If so, how?

Somebody help, please!

Friday, September 10, 2010 4:19 PM

Answers

• as i have mentioned, there is no version 4.0. what was previously known as version 4.0 CTP was released as the open-source Sync Toolkit instead. What was supposed to be version 4.0 is now the Sync Toolkit.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:08 AM

All replies

• the functionality shown in that demo is just a preview of a yet to be released version of Sync Fx and is not currently available in the current version. If you want to check out the preview release, you can check out how to get invited to the preview release at : http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/synclab/threads
    Friday, September 10, 2010 11:51 PM
  • Is there any alternative to the CTP? How can I sync the SQLite database on iPhone with the SQL Server database on the server? Also, how do I sync without primary key collisions (SQLite does not support the GUID datatype)?
    Monday, September 13, 2010 9:45 PM
  • not that am aware of. i dont think the current version of Sync Fx has any runtime components that runs on iPhone. You will most likely have to build your own custom provider and configure sync with iPhone as either a partial participant or simple participant.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 3:39 AM
  • OK, that's what I was afraid of. I am very new to Sync Fx. Are there any resources to get me started on how to implement a custom provider? What is the difference between a partial participant and a simple participant?
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hi David,

A good news is we currently have an invitation-only preview release for people to try out the new capabilities of sync framework vnext, which allows you to build offline applications on virtually any other client platform, including Silverlight, WP7, iPhone, etc.. as long as it has some form of persistent storage available. If you are ininterested in participating, please send email to msf30ctp at microsoft dot com with the user scenarios that you want to support and we will follow up with you soon.

Thanks,
    Nina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 7:29 PM
  • Hi Nina,

Can I use microsoft sync framework to sync sqlite db and microsoft sql server.  My iphone app development environment is phonegap and sqlite db.

As I learned from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/sync/bb887608

I can use this framework to sync mobile device database to remote db.

I appreciate your help.

Best Regards,

Brij

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:07 PM
  • have a look at the Sync Framework Toolkit: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/Sync-Framework-Toolkit-4dc10f0e
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 5:57 AM
  •  

Thanks JuneT for your help. I looked the Sync Framework. Is SyncFramework production ready or yet in development phase ?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Brij

Friday, January 6, 2012 4:46 PM
  • Not sure what you mean by "production ready", but both Sync Framework and Sync Toolkits have RTM versions already.

If you're referring to the Sync Toolkit,  MS did an open source release instead of releasing it as v4.0 (as originally planned). So Sync Toolkit is an RTM release.

Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:29 AM
  • Hi June,

I noticed your comment about sync framework being RTM, I take you don't mean version 4.0, as I can only find the CTP version for version 4.0?

Thanks

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:26 AM
  • as i have mentioned, there is no version 4.0. what was previously known as version 4.0 CTP was released as the open-source Sync Toolkit instead. What was supposed to be version 4.0 is now the Sync Toolkit.
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:08 AM
  • Many Thanks, yes the samples do indeed show how to do this
    • Edited by xcfrt Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:17 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 12:54 PM