none
Power Failure RRS feed

• Question

• I hope someone can help me.  I have a home-built system based on specifications from Maximum PC. WHS works fine, but I have constant unexpected power failures. Server will operate for 20-30 minutes and have a power failure. I restart the machine---works for a short length of time, and goes into another power failure. The process repeates itself serveral until the power switch won't even turn on the server. I wait a period of time--hour or so--and the machine will turn on again. But the process begins all over--power failures. The machine is cool, fans are maximum speed, connections are tight and everything works perfectly--until an unexpected power failure occurs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Monday, April 5, 2010 2:52 PM

Answers

• Can you tell me about thermal grease?

Thermal Grease is what you use between the CPU and Heatsink to allow for better heat transfer from CPU to the Heatsink which in the end disspatates heat along with the help of a fan.  

jd

• Marked as answer by Mikey1947 Monday, April 5, 2010 9:58 PM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 9:22 PM

All replies

• Could be any of the following.

1. Power Supply.

2. Bad Motherboard.

3. CPU overheating (Not enough) Thermal Grease.

4. Heat Sink not properly seated.

5. CPU Fan Speed drops due to failing fan.

I have actually had a fan that once running after about 2 hours would drop the speed thus creating the CPU to overheat and shut down.

jd

Monday, April 5, 2010 4:51 PM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 8:53 PM

Thermal Grease is what you use between the CPU and Heatsink to allow for better heat transfer from CPU to the Heatsink which in the end disspatates heat along with the help of a fan.  

jd

• Marked as answer by Mikey1947 Monday, April 5, 2010 9:58 PM
    Monday, April 5, 2010 9:22 PM
  • You were correct---I forgot to peel a small label from the processor and it fused to the heat sink. I used some alcohol to clean it. I'm also purchasing some thermal grease.  Very helpful and prompt response.  You pointed me in the right direction.  Thank you very much.
    Monday, April 5, 2010 9:59 PM
  • 3. CPU overheating (Not enough) Thermal Grease.

The most common problem is too much thermal grease.  The purpose of the thermal compound it to fill the tiny (mircoscopic) imperfections between the faces of the CPU die and the heatsink surface.  You should apply a small amount of grease and use a razor blade to scrape the grease across each surface.  Then apply another small drop in the center and try to spread this evenly and apply the Heatsink to the CPU.

Possibly under the label on your CPU it had a thermal pad or thermal compound on it already - but looks like you've cleaned it off already.

--
    Tuesday, April 6, 2010 10:32 AM