Hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have added an additional hard drive to my Windows Home Server but did not recognise the hard drive in my computer, although I noticed the additional storage space increase in the home server console.  My question is how does the system know where to add the files,  does it infact fill the primary drive then add to the secondary drive? 
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:14 PM

Answers

• If the storage space is detected in the Windows Home Server console, all is fine. Additional drives in the WHS storage pool do not get drive letters assigned.
    Windows Home Server will start using your new drive automatically (although you will have to turn folder duplication for shared folders on, if you want to use that feature).
    If you ony wish to get the already stored files relocated from drive D: for folders without folder duplication, one option is to copy them from Shared folders to another disk (i.e. external or via network to a client) and delete them from the WHS shares, after that copy them back.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:42 PM

All replies

• If the storage space is detected in the Windows Home Server console, all is fine. Additional drives in the WHS storage pool do not get drive letters assigned.
    Windows Home Server will start using your new drive automatically (although you will have to turn folder duplication for shared folders on, if you want to use that feature).
    If you ony wish to get the already stored files relocated from drive D: for folders without folder duplication, one option is to copy them from Shared folders to another disk (i.e. external or via network to a client) and delete them from the WHS shares, after that copy them back.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:42 PM
  • Thank you very much Olaf.  I hope all is well in Germany
    Lee from Canada.
    Cheers
    Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:09 AM