printer sharing RRS feed

• Question

• can i share a printer connected to my hub pc with another remote computer that is not in the one care circle?

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 3:04 AM

Answers

• Yes, but not automatically using OneCare's Circle functionality. Right click the Printer and select properties and Share it.

On the PC where you wish to print from, Control Panel, Printers, Add a printer and browse for a network printer, selecting the printer that is attached to your hub PC. Provide the driver disk if prompted for one.

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:52 PM

All replies

• Yes, but not automatically using OneCare's Circle functionality. Right click the Printer and select properties and Share it.

On the PC where you wish to print from, Control Panel, Printers, Add a printer and browse for a network printer, selecting the printer that is attached to your hub PC. Provide the driver disk if prompted for one.

-steve

Wednesday, January 30, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Help please:

I have recently loaded OneCare on my PC with printer attached.

Laptop connected to PC via LAN is NOT using OneCare but Norton.

Laptop could happily print before Onecare was installed.

Laptop error message states that laptop cant connect - if I try and renew the printer connection, laptop does not even see the printer!

I go to printer icon on PC, right click and see the OneCare icon next to "more information" - I click this and get:

"This printer cannot be shared bercause OneCare cant get info about thsi printer - make sure printer is connected etc etc" - no "share anyway option or anything at all helpful!!!

Dowenloaded the latest print driver (75Mb!!)
    VERY FRUSTRATING!

I cannot get rid of this block - I am using a Samsung Colour Laser workgroup printer - new and expensive - (so it has to be oin the supported list!!!) and so far have wasted a lot of my time.

Solution? Any ideas?

UI am a networking pro so please dont suggest anything basic.

I also read a comment from another user wondering why you are including any printer controls in OneCare as it is causing more problems than it has to be worth- I could not agree more.

Monday, April 7, 2008 6:52 PM
  • OneCare Printer Sharing functionality is designed to simply sharing a printer attached locally to a PC to other PCs running OneCare. It does not share printers to PCs not running OneCare, it does not share printers that are not attached locally to the PC, and it does not share printers between 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems due to driver issues.

I believe your problem is related to the firewall. You can confirm this by disabling the OneCare firewall temporarily. (open OneCare, change settings, firewall tab, select Off, and click OK)

If it works, then enable the firewall again and do the following.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

On the firewall tab, click configure firewall

If the network is shown as Public, click Change Location to change it to "Home or Work."

Click the Advanced Settings button

Click Network connections tab.

If there are multiple active connections shown, you may need to disable them in your Windows network connections settings. (Network and Sharing Center, manage connections, in Vista; Right click My Network Places and select Properties on the Start menu in XP)

On the Ports and Protocols tab, add a check mark next to File and Printer Sharing - for subnet and Internet if the first setting alone (after all of the above are verified) does not allow Sharing to work.

If all of the above fail, please contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 3:11 PM