Inspiration needed - Building with many appartments RRS feed

• Question

• I am wanting to do something but I don't have the inspiration (or call it insight if you like :p) at the moment.

Basically what I want to do is this.

I want to add a building (that is one entity). I will make a seperate entity for this with all the details of it on here.
    Every building can have several appartments. So I want to add all the apartments and the details to this building (I assume another entity too).

Now comes the harder part.

I am on the contact form. And I want to add the building to the contact (the contact is interested in some appartments in the building). After doing that I want to add eg 2 of the appartments to that.

This so I can see, aha, this contact is interested in this building, and more detailed in appartment A or D.

You understand the process?

Now how is the smartest way to do this technically?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:04 AM

Answers

• The N:N relationship will allow multiple contacts to show intrest in the same appartment. 

Now. How do you know which building the appartment belongs to when you click on add existing. Well I had a similar issue with hospital departments. When doing a lookup users wanted to know not just cardiology but also which hospital the department belonged to.

Well I proposed a simple JavaScript soution that worked for the customer. Just add the building Name to the Apartment number when the appartment record is created.
    So, when doing a lookup your appartment record will look like:

Brosimba Towers - Appartment 10

where Brosimba Towers is the name of the building. Your javascript can append the name of the building when the appartment record is created.

Hassan.

Hassan Hussain | http://hassanhussain.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by brosimba Friday, June 5, 2009 10:18 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Brosimba,

Here is a blast of inspiration :) Hope this helps.

Create a Building and Appartment entities. One building can have many appartments.
    Building (Primary*) 1 - N Appartment

Create a relationship between the appartment entity and contact. One contact can be intrested in many appartments. 
    Appartment N - 1 Contact (Primary*)

Because each apartment is assocated with a building you can always see the relationship between the contact and the building. And this will also allow the contact to have intrest in more than one appartments in more than one buildings.

Hassan.

* (Primary entity when defining the relationshp.)

Friday, June 5, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Ok I follow your thought but I think something is not right yet...

Because it is possible that multiple contacts are interested in the same appartments?

The next thing you'll probably suggest is N:N but then I have another problem.

I'm at contact, want to add an appartment. So I click "add existing appartment". I see the name of the appartments all right... but I don't know of which building they are then? And I can't adjust that view.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:24 AM
  • Adjust the lookup view to include the parent building or set a naming convention to have a reference to the building in the name of the apartment.

Leon Tribe
    Want to hear me talk about all things CRM? Check out my blog
    • Proposed as answer by Leon TribeMVP Friday, June 5, 2009 9:29 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:28 AM
  • If i do add existing look up view I cannot adjust that view in the normal views customizations.

How do I include the parent building? How do i set a naming convention?

Friday, June 5, 2009 9:34 AM
  • The N:N relationship will allow multiple contacts to show intrest in the same appartment. 

Now. How do you know which building the appartment belongs to when you click on add existing. Well I had a similar issue with hospital departments. When doing a lookup users wanted to know not just cardiology but also which hospital the department belonged to.

Well I proposed a simple JavaScript soution that worked for the customer. Just add the building Name to the Apartment number when the appartment record is created.
    So, when doing a lookup your appartment record will look like:

Brosimba Towers - Appartment 10

where Brosimba Towers is the name of the building. Your javascript can append the name of the building when the appartment record is created.

Hassan.

• Marked as answer by brosimba Friday, June 5, 2009 10:18 AM
    Friday, June 5, 2009 9:50 AM
  • Ok that works hassan. I had that solution at the back of my mind but thought that there maybe would have been another one... But I'll just take this solution.
    Thanks for the example and for your help.
    Friday, June 5, 2009 10:18 AM