Static IP for remote Access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have installed home server smoothly. Can connect to \\homeserver\remote on my laptop internally on my home network no problem.

However when I want to connect to it via the internet externally I take it I will need to aquire a static IP from my ISP. When you purchase a static IP is it automatically associated with your router or do you need to set it up? Do I then need to also setup my router for port forwarding to \\homeserver\ ?

Thanks for any advice

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:14 PM

Answers

• You don't need a fixed IP. WHS comes with a service to update the host when your IP address changes. If you open the console and click on settings in the top RH corner, you'll find the options there, you register yourname.livenode.com and this address will always point to your router. Depending on the router you maybe able to configure the port forwarding automatically, if not forward ports 80, 443 and 4125 to your server.

This article may help http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1730579&SiteID=50

Gordon

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:26 PM

All replies

• You don't need a fixed IP. WHS comes with a service to update the host when your IP address changes. If you open the console and click on settings in the top RH corner, you'll find the options there, you register yourname.livenode.com and this address will always point to your router. Depending on the router you maybe able to configure the port forwarding automatically, if not forward ports 80, 443 and 4125 to your server.

This article may help http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1730579&SiteID=50

Gordon

Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:26 PM
  • That's one of the great things about this, using ddns to resolve the static ip issue, the only static IP I set is on my router, and that in itself is a personal prefernce and not a requirement for the OS...
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Ah Great. I have heard a little bit about Ddns but not much. I will have to do some reading, but what a great idea to incorporate that into WHS. I have heard Ddns can be rather temperamental when it comes to picking up change in IP.

Also you say I have to register a domain domain.live. I already have Office Live with my own website I wonder if its possible to associate that with my WHS.?

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:47 AM
  • "That's one of the great things about this, using ddns to resolve the static ip issue, the only static IP I set is on my router, and that in itself is a personal prefernce and not a requirement for the OS... "

Actually I personally set a static IP address for the server. IF the server were to get a different IP address the port forwarding wouldn't work. When I installed RC1 I forgot to set the IP back and spent a while scratching my head why remote access didn't work ! Your router should have a static IP on your network. eg router has dynamic public IP, 192.168.1.1 on my network, server is 192.168.1.1250 and all other machines are DHCP in between :-)

Gordon

<edit to insert quote>

Friday, June 15, 2007 8:58 AM
  •  "Ah Great. I have heard a little bit about Ddns but not much. I will have to do some reading, but what a great idea to incorporate that into WHS. I have heard Ddns can be rather temperamental when it comes to picking up change in IP.

Also you say I have to register a domain domain.live. I already have Office Live with my own website I wonder if its possible to associate that with my WHS.?"

I have a range of fixed IPs so I've not had much experience, but I've not seen many complaints. In reality xDSL / cable connections rarely change IP.

The only domain that WHS configures is livenode.com (The release version will change to xxx.homeserver.com) I don't know if you can configure it from Office Live but I doubt it.

You could pay a few £/$ and register your own domain and point it to the livenode address. I have a sub-domain of my domain pointing to the server.

Gordon

<edits to insert quote>

Friday, June 15, 2007 9:01 AM
  • That's a pretty useful feature.

Personally I have a static IP but only 1 so it's difficult to access my other computers at home for remote desktop.

Does WHS allow me to access other computers on the network for remote desktop through the web page?
    Friday, June 15, 2007 9:07 AM
  •  Roaders wrote:
    That's a pretty useful feature.

Personally I have a static IP but only 1 so it's difficult to access my other computers at home for remote desktop.

Does WHS allow me to access other computers on the network for remote desktop through the web page?

Yes as long as it's an OS that supports remote desktop (not all versions of Vista do). You also need to make sure the account you log on with is set up to allow remote access.

Remote access needs strong passwords, I use a seperate account with a very strong password for remote access, leaving my normal account with a password I can actually remember :-)

Gordon

Friday, June 15, 2007 9:12 AM
  • Hi there,

I have tried to find the area to register a domain within the console settings but was not successful. I have gone straight to domains.live.com and registered a domain but I don't know how to associate that domain with my router. I have also set up a virtual server with the ports you said. However it said port 80 could not be used as it is used by www and I must use 8080 instead.

Callum

Monday, June 18, 2007 7:15 PM