Dual Network Card for WHS RC RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Every one

I'm not network or tech genius guy. I just computer user only with minimal technical skill. I'm sorry if my quest kinda dumb and might making some one laughting..

I would like to use Dual network card ont WHS RC is that possible.

network card 1- for accessing to internet for DL all content on WWW or Usenet server. (separate Internet Mode and service provider)

Network card 2 - LAN but also connected directly to a Router and it could be able to access to the interetnet as well (Mainly for LAN only) different ISP and different modem.. and it connect to router instead of directly connect to cable modem.

Thank you

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 5:40 PM

All replies

• What is the question?  I believe you should be able to achieve this.  Seems kind of an overkill really though.  Guess we would have to hear your reasonings behind it.
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 6:45 PM
  • lol I think so too..

But if Dual network card could be better for me me DLer, so if I use 1 internet connect for DL and surf web can slow my dl speed and playing game is kinda spike with high ping #.  So I just have two ISP one just for mainly DL on WHS.  I also want my WHS able to LAN with other computer and LAN with WDTV and other DLNA client.  So I think that would be my best option since i'm not computer genius or computer geek and I have no idea what is networking what make can make better for my internet connection.  because of all that I just think Dual network card should be best fit for me. 

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Running a dual internet connection is not easy at all, best you can do
    is either have a router that can switch between them as the gateway,
    or to direct certain external addresses out of one connection or the
    other, but only having 1 general gateway to the internet.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi Bob,

My plan.. is below see if you have any idea how that work

Dell XPS 410 Q6600 Intel

Installing WHS RC 2011.

I have 2 ISP in my house.

Running Dual Network card.

Network Card 1 - connect directly to Cable Modem (no router invole) this mainly for dl contents on WWW. and usenet. (1ST ISP)

Network card 2 -  connect directly to Router this for LAN which all computer around the house (and this connected different cable modem than the first  one)

I have Buffalo Router WRZ-DDRWT firmware.

any suggestion.. I plan to do all this this weekend.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Network Card 1 - connect directly to Cable Modem (no router invole) this mainly for dl contents on WWW. and usenet. (1ST ISP)

Set it up as if it was the only connection to the internet and it
    should pull an IP address from the cable connection.

Network card 2 -  connect directly to Router this for LAN which all computer around the house (and this connected different cable modem than the first  one)

Easy to do as long as you don't expect to access the internet through
    this connection.

The TCP address should be on the same subnet as the other PC's on the
    LAN.  Make sure the default gateway on the second card is blank.

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 3:53 PM
  • thank you for advised I'll set them up tomorrow since ill be off for the rest of this week.. hope going to work out for me

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:04 PM